Adding a second dog Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a second dog Advice

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdding a second dog Advice

Hello. So my husband has told me that we should maybe get a second dog (he doesnt want kids so this is his way of letting me be a mom). We are looking at breeds that fit our home and lifestyle. I just dont know if I am ready for a second dog. We have Hera and she is almost a year old. I know it would be good for her to have a friend to play with because I can tell she gets bored sometimes and tries to play with our cats.
    If you have two dogs how does it work for you? Do they get jealous if you give one attention and not the other? What about walks?
    I am not worried about training, Hera is very well trained and I get compliments on her all the time. By big worries are jealousy, walking them both, traveling, and will they both be focused on me or will they keep eachother entertained. Hera is a big mommys girl, always at my side and it would be good for her to have someone else to focus on. I would worry about the cats but they dont seem to mind Hera, they just tend to keep clear of her.
    Any advice, stories, or tips would be helpful!
    Hera's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

It doesn't sound like you really would like another dog, but for someone/something to entertain your current dog every once in a while.... have you thought about setting up play dates with friends with dogs or sending her to doggy daycare once or twice a week?

My brother and sister in law have a little dog she loves to play with but he is a bad influence on her. Their dog has little to no training, he jumps on people even if you say no, he still pees in the house and he is about a year old as well, constantly digging, and so on and I see her pick up on it when we are there. I grew up with having two dogs, I would like to have another dog I just worry. My husband tells me I worry to much and overthink everything. I like to make sure I am 100% before bringing home an animal and right now I am at about 80%.
    Hera's Mom

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

If you do decide to go with a second dog I think its a good idea to get one thats personality compliments heras personality
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Well if we decide to get a second dog we will bring her with us to go look. That way we can see if they get along.
    Hera's Mom

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I agree that it does not sound like you really want another dog. Getting one mainly to entertain and/or offer companionhip to your current dog is not a good reason to add another dog. YOU have to want the dog and be committed to doing your best to raise it.
    I do have 2 dogs and will add a 3rd next Spring/Summer. My dogs get along very well. Emma will be 7 in July and Maxx will be 2 in July. I rarely see jealousy between them, they have 2 very different personalities and what is most important to one is far from important to the other. They compliment each other very well. Some days they play for hours on end and other days they might only play for an hour. They walk well together but they still get individual walks twice daily just like they get individual training, grooming and one on one time, etc. It is twice the work but I enjoy it and would not have it any other way.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thank you for your answer! So you do two different walks? What does the other dog do when you are working with the other? I never thought I would get a second dog and my husband kind of sprung it on me a few hours ago. I am starting to feel more confident about owning a second dog.
    Hera's Mom

When one is out for their walk or training the other is inside. Emma has issues with seperation anxiety but as long as she has someone with her she is mostly fine. My oldest son is her "person" and she adores one on one time with him,
    Maxx is the mellow, social, easy going "typical" Lab and loves everyone. It does not matter to him if it is myself, DH or my son walking him or working with him. I do the bulk of work with Maxx and I have been to every class with him since puppy k. It is really important that you let a breeder know your current dogs personality along with your own expectations so they are able to match you with the right puppy. If you decide to adopt the same is true and taking your current dog to meet any potential additions is important.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Thats good info! We only want to adopt so I am looking at a group around where we live that rescues and fosters dogs. They insist on having the dogs meet which is good.
    Hera's Mom

It is great that you want to rescue and give a deserving dog a forever home. Please, just make sure you are really ready and prepared for the added work and responsibility. It is very important that you be able to give a dog everything it needs and adopting a rescue could possibly be even more demanding than adding a new puppy. The rescue group often is not aware of everything a dog has been through and it is so important to be prepared to deal with multiple issues, just to be on the safe side. I do wish you the best of luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast