Shedding?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding?

Aimskie is offline Junior Member

DefaultShedding?

Hi all. Peyton is now 12 weeks and a healthy 24 lbs. She's growing like a weed! But every time she gets picked up, there's like a cloud of hair that comes off of her. She gets bathed regularly. And we do live in Vegas, so it's a bit on the dry side. I do have humidifiers running daily in the house to help. Is there a specific brand or kind of brush I should use on her? Is she too young for a brush? Is there a specific kind of shampoo I should use? Maybe supplement with fish oil? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

STOP bathing her. Why do you bathe her? Labs should not be bathed unless of course they roll in something very nasty. By bathing your lab you are stripping the natural oils in her skin and fur. That could be a reason she sheds so much, but overall labs shed 24/7.
    You should regularly brush your lab to keep the coat clean and shinny. at 12 weeks she still has her baby fur and you should use a soft brush on her.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Second the no bathing recommendation. This is not a Poodle. Most of us never bathe them or at most bathe once a year. You can quickly ruin a Lab coat with regular bathing. It will not only strip their coat of natural oils, but will actually make them more stinky.

My dogs have not had a bath in a year (and were last bathed due to a flea problem) and they do not smell at all doggie.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Yes - STOP bathing her! That strips the oils from her coat and skin. She will not smell if you stop washing her. She will lose her puppy coat, so she will be shedding until that's gone. then she'll shed every day until fall, when she'll 'blow coat' and have a BIG shed. Then daily until next spring when she has the spring blow.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Not bathing her is not an option. If I don't bathe both of my dogs on a regular basis, there would be an ungodly amount of sand/fine dirt covering my house. It would get uncontrollable. We don't have grass in our back yard. Like I said, we live in Vegas. I also have a soon to be 1 year old and it's imperative he's not rolling around in the crap they bring in.

By bathing regularly, I mean twice a month. Not every day.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Brushing should take off the sand and grit. I would have an area your 1 year old rolls around and the dogs are kept out.

There are rooms in our house the dogs are not allowed to go. Guests bedrooms and living room are dog free unless invited as not everyone wants to leave covered in dog hair so respect that. If they want to sit in the dogs room or on my bed then they do at their own risk.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Like the others said. Brushing will take off most of the sand. Vacuum cleaner and broom will get the rest We don't give Jack baths and him being my first Lab, I'm amazed and very happy that he doesn't smell. Even when it's raining out and he gets damp, or when he's been in the pond.....no "wet doggie smell" Start the brushing now...I started later and Jack still resists me. Might not of made much difference, but I keep thinking if I'd brushed him from the time he was little he'd be used to it. Maybe not.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If you really have to "bathe" her - do it without the soap. Just hose her off. Frequent (and twice a month is quite frequent) bathing will truly make a mess of her coat and buy you skin issues down the road.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Labradory is offline Senior Member

My girls love to play in and around their kiddie pool, thus getting clean w/o shampoo. In your dry LV temperatures, they would dry up super fast.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast