Update on Previous Post (Re: Bloody Diarrhea) and Another Question Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Previous Post (Re: Bloody Diarrhea) and Another Question Please

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultUpdate on Previous Post (Re: Bloody Diarrhea) and Another Question Please

Just to recap.....Dee had very bloody diarrhea last Sunday morning. My vet asked me to bring in a stool sample the next time she went....which as it turned out was not until yesterday (Tuesday) morning. Her stool had gone from almost like water full of blood (Sunday) to harder than normal yesterday and there wasn't much of it. At any rate I got the sample and took it straight along and it has been sent off for testing. Early this morning she was loose again.....though not as loose as Sunday morning and no obvious blood in it. Then shortly after she did a little more...which was looser and did have some blood in it. I called the vet just to keep him updated and took a sample of the latest stool (very runny) in for him to see. He had already sent the first sample away and hopefully the fact that she was almost constipated yesterday when I got the sample, won't affect the results of the tests. Anyway he has told me (via the receptionist) to take her off the chicken and rice that he recommended on Sunday and put her on RC Gastro Diet.....at least temporarily I guess. I'm wondering if the sudden change in diet is going to upset things, but I guess it must be pretty easily tolerated.

My vet has also prescribed Tylosin Caps for 10 days. 400 mg every 12 hours. I gather this is a type of antibiotic??? Has anyone used this/have any experience using it? Side effects? I'd really appreciate your comments. TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

No advice or experience, just prayers and good thoughts that it's something easily treated and she's 100% better soon.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I don't think the new diet will upset her. When Erns was diagnosed with IBD he was put straight onto RC. Would the canned work? I know it is expensive, but really helped get Ernie over the humps when he is bad. Chicken has been the worst thing for him. I know all dogs, are different, just putting some ideas out there, as I know how frustrating it was when we couldn't help Erns..

Reading this again I wonder if it may be a touch of IBS or IBD.

Good thoughts coming.

ETA. Lately with Erns Crohns being unstable I have been lurking in the IBD group and Tynosil is one of the things used frequently. I give something else to line his gut to help it and no side effects.
    Last edited by kassabella; 05-15-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    I don't think the new diet will upset her. When Erns was diagnosed with IBD he was put straight onto RC. Would the canned work? I know it is expensive, but really helped get Ernie over the humps when he is bad. Chicken has been the worst thing for him. I know all dogs, are different, just putting some ideas out there, as I know how frustrating it was when we couldn't help Erns..

Reading this again I wonder if it may be a touch of IBS or IBD.

Good thoughts coming.

ETA. Lately with Erns Crohns being unstable I have been lurking in the IBD group and Tynosil is one of the things used frequently. I give something else to line his gut to help it and no side effects.
    It's weird Chris as she's never had any issues with colitis/her stomach etc. She's had a few very short lived bouts of diarrhea over the years, but it's generally been a one day (or less) kind of thing. You might remember from other posts that I used to have a little dog with major stomach problems, so I'm not unfamiliar with gut problems. My little dog used to be really miserable when she had a bout of colitis (my vet said it was like doggy Crohn's that she had). Dee's seems to be affecting her lower bowel only.....at least so far. She is not sick (no vomiting) and doesn't appear to be in any discomfort......though I'm sure the diarrhea isn't pleasant and she has had gas.....which she doesn't normally get that often. Occasionally we also get a whiff of the anal gland fishy smell. A few months back she was tested for a variety of things....giardia etc. etc. All negative. I believe my vet is probably repeating this same group of tests this time, but I'd be kind of surprised if anything comes back positive. Perhaps the diarrhea issue is starting to happen more often now rather than rarely...... being as the last time was just a few months back, but again it didn't last then and she's never had any blood in it until this last bout. The food she has been on for most of her life is RC Mobility because she has ortho issues. It really suited her up until a couple/few years ago when they "improved" the formula. After that I noticed that she would get gas at times......whereas she rarely did on the old formula. Still she's done okay on it and hopefully it's helped her hips.

I bought a bag of the RC Gastro (Low fat) when I dropped off the latest stool sample (and picked up the Tylosin) and have already given her about a half a cup. I never thought about the canned because they didn't suggest it, but my little dog was on I believe the Hill's Canned Vet diet. I think it was I/D. We'll see how this goes anyway. I gave her one of the Tylosin capsules a few hours ago. She's to have one ever 12 hours, so we'll see how that goes. I should hear back regarding the stool tests by the end of the week. Thanks for the good thoughts and good thoughts for Erns too. I know from my little dog how hard this issue is to deal with on a regular basis. It took nothing almost to set her off, but for the most part I managed to keep her on an even keel.

Sorry I don't remeber your wee dog. Most days I don't remember what I had for lunch.
    From what I understand lower gut there is often blood due to inflammation. Lurking in the IBD group most of the dogs have diarrhea so probably the reason vets kept misdiagnosing Erns was because he didn't have diarrhea.

Why do they change formulas? Some of our dogs do very well and any small change could unbalance things. Gas is always a first sign for me that Erns gut is off.

I hope the Tylosin works and food works quickly. Let us know how it goes. Good thoughts coming.

Thanks Chris. Re the food.....I guess the gastro diet is an easy on the gut diet and thus why he has recommended it.......though it doesn't seem to be her stomach that is upset. Hopefully switching the foods fairly quickly won't bother her. I did ask and he said it shouldn't. Ironically she normally has no issues with her digestion etc. I haven't been as keen on the Mobility diet since they changed the formula (she never had gas with the old formula) and it definitely doesn't suit her near as well as the original/old formula did, so perhaps I'll end up switching. I just want to get to the bottom of what caused this issue. With the other occasional episodes of diarrhea despite testing nothing has shown up, so I've never really got an answer. It's generally cleared up within a day, so not really a big deal. And why would it just affect the lower bowel and not her stomach as well? I mean I'm glad that her stomach seems okay obviously, but if something is irritating her lower bowel to the extent of passing a fair bit of blood, wouldn't you think it would affect her stomach as well? Whether this is the same thing as the other few occasions she's had diarrhea or not I don't know, but if it is then it is definitely worse this time.......lasting longer and also the first time with blood in it. Anyway, we should have the results of the extensive stool testing fairly soon (I believe it's the same test he did a few months back for giardia etc.) ......though frankly I'll be surprised if anything shows up. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again for your good thoughts.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 05-16-2013 at 10:46 AM.

'Possum is offline Junior Member

Hi. I hope your pup feels better soon. I had to use tylosin for my Jackson for a long time. He suffered from bouts of Clostridium, and the Tylosin kept it under control. When you wrote that her gas had a fishy smell, that perked up my ears, because when Jackson would have bad bouts of clostridium, it smelled that way. Although, his bms were runny and full of mucus (sorry if that is TMI). The lab should be able to see clostridium if your pup has it, but they do miss it occasionally. I would usually notice an improvement in Jackson pretty quick on the med. However, it took my vets a long time to realize that Jackson's problem was chronic (he would have bouts every other month or so) -- back and forth to the vet, and their first line of defense was to put him on flagyl which did not help. Finally, one of the vets told me she had her dog on Tylosin for the last several years of his life, so she agreed to put Jackson on it (scant 1/4 tsp 2 x per day -- he weighed 78 pounds) and he never suffered from the problem again. I hope you find out soon what is going on, and are able to get your pup to 100%.

I have no idea why some dogs it effects the upper or lower gut or bowel. I get confused when the vets or others talk about it so get the basics for Ernie and my brain turns off. I think upper, lower is pretty much the same when treating it.

They can develop a sensitivity to the food at any time. Erns did very well on his food for 4 years, before it seemed like over night the vomitting started. Vets told me not long after we stablised Erns he could become unstable at any time. It has been a concern as there isn't anything else he can eat. We have been hoping a new food will appear before that happens and last night the vet thinks there is one due here in 3 weeks.

Tess has been fine on a dry food for a few months, then suddenly it goes pear shape. We try another and it either works for a few weeks or not.

Hope the food and meds help. It may take a week or so.

One thing I check on when poops are normal is if it has a mucusy texture...oops sorry that sounds so gross. If it has it is an indication to me his gut is playing. I use gut as a general degestive system word. My vet always uses bowel.
    Last edited by kassabella; 05-17-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Possum View Post
    Hi. I hope your pup feels better soon. I had to use tylosin for my Jackson for a long time. He suffered from bouts of Clostridium, and the Tylosin kept it under control. When you wrote that her gas had a fishy smell, that perked up my ears, because when Jackson would have bad bouts of clostridium, it smelled that way. Although, his bms were runny and full of mucus (sorry if that is TMI). The lab should be able to see clostridium if your pup has it, but they do miss it occasionally. I would usually notice an improvement in Jackson pretty quick on the med. However, it took my vets a long time to realize that Jackson's problem was chronic (he would have bouts every other month or so) -- back and forth to the vet, and their first line of defense was to put him on flagyl which did not help. Finally, one of the vets told me she had her dog on Tylosin for the last several years of his life, so she agreed to put Jackson on it (scant 1/4 tsp 2 x per day -- he weighed 78 pounds) and he never suffered from the problem again. I hope you find out soon what is going on, and are able to get your pup to 100%.
    Possum......thanks for replying. She was tested for this (along with a bunch of other things) a couple of months ago when she had a short bout of diarrhea. All the tests came back negative....including Clostridium Perfringens. The stool sample wasn't loose either times because she seems to go from diarrhea one day to almost constipated the next......and it started on a Sunday when my vet was closed both times, so I couldn't get the sample until the next day. The vet office told me that it is a DNA test, so it shouldn't matter if the sample stool was loose or hard. It should still show any of the things they are testing for if they are in the stool. I'm currently waiting for the results of the tests she had earlier this week (same test as a couple of months ago I believe) ....hoping that I hear from the vet today. If not I'll give them a call. One difference this time is that she went back to having diarrhea on Wednesday......so bad diarrhea on Sunday, then didn't go again until Tuesday morning when she was almost constipated.....then diarrhea again on Wednesday. Previous bouts have usually just been a one day and sometimes only a one time thing. This time it's only a couple of months since the last time, but on the whole it's still not been a common occurence with her.

She has been on the Tylosin for three days now. They are capsules that she's taking (400 mg every 12 hours). She started them on Wednesday morning and by Thursday evening her stool was much better. Yesterday and this morning it looks pretty close to normal. Now whether this is because of the Tylosin or not I have no way of knowing for sure. Regarding the anal glands smell......she does have anal gland issues at times and it's not unusual for them to express on their own, so not sure about that either. She still has gas; though not as often as earlier this week. The thing that scared me the most was all the blood in her diarrhea last Sunday. That was a first for her. This diarrhea just seemed to come out of no where. Dee has been fine aside from the diarrhea. Appetite good etc. Did your dog have blood in his stool with the diarrhea? Any other symptoms? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 05-18-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    I have no idea why some dogs it effects the upper or lower gut or bowel. I get confused when the vets or others talk about it so get the basics for Ernie and my brain turns off. I think upper, lower is pretty much the same when treating it.

They can develop a sensitivity to the food at any time. Erns did very well on his food for 4 years, before it seemed like over night the vomitting started. Vets told me not long after we stablised Erns he could become unstable at any time. It has been a concern as there isn't anything else he can eat. We have been hoping a new food will appear before that happens and last night the vet thinks there is one due here in 3 weeks.

Tess has been fine on a dry food for a few months, then suddenly it goes pear shape. We try another and it either works for a few weeks or not.

Hope the food and meds help. It may take a week or so.

One thing I check on when poops are normal is if it has a mucusy texture...oops sorry that sounds so gross. If it has it is an indication to me his gut is playing. I use gut as a general degestive system word. My vet always uses bowel.
    Chris, it wouldn't surprise me if her food wasn't suiting her anymore. Since they changed the formula a couple/few years back it hasn't been as good for her. She is not a dog that is prone to gut issues and the only immediate and obvious change the new formula had on her was that she never used to get gas.....at least not often enough to notice. Plus her stool seemed somewhat softer after the formula change (not as firm).....though I'm not exactly sure when that started. I believe when they changed the formula the amount of fat and/or calories increased, but I'd have to look back to check that. I've hesitated to switch to something different because it's the Mobility Support diet she's been on and I felt it may have helped her hips. She's been on it for 7 years, but maybe time for a change.

RC Gastro diet (low fat) - I have totally switched her over to this now per my vet's instructions. She's just been fully on it for a couple of days. She really shouldn't need to be on a Gastro diet normally though, as she has never had issues with her gut/stomach/bowels........at least only very rarely. However......maybe she is getting less tolerant as she gets older and needs a lower fat food. We'll see what the test results show and go from there I guess. Thanks for your interest Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast