Anyone use the Thundershirt?

Thread: Anyone use the Thundershirt?

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone use the Thundershirt?

Hey! I just got Hera a thundershirt today. I did a lot of research and thought it would be worth a try. Has anyone used this? She seems to like it so far. She has bad anxiety problems, mostly in the car and when left alone. She gets car sick when we go farther than 2 miles, always throws up. The ride to Petsmart she kept yawning (supposedly a sign of anxiety) and with it on her on the way home not a single yawn and not sickness. So far it really seems to be working, she is much calmer even with the vacuum. My husband is worried that if she wears it to much she will get used to it and it wont work anymore. Does this happen? I mainly want her to wear it when crated, in the car, and when guest come over (she tends to "boof" at them, she doesnt bark she does this half bark sound we call "boof"). Any ideas or personal experiences?
    Hera's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

judiz is offline Senior Member

Use it and love it!! Hamilton is afraid of storms, we put the thundershirt on as soon as we hear the first roar of thunder.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Teddy doesn't care about thunderstorms, rides in the car like a dream. But he is very, very nervous when in new places. Our trainer suggested he wear the thundershirt when we go for obedience classes. I've also started putting it on him when guests come over--he gets so, so excited. It seems to help--but it certainly doesn't make him laid back! It just seems to calm him a bit.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Bought one for Keegan for the car, big difference. I used it when my son trimmed her nails as she would throw her head back and get all dramatic. Now she gets up on the couch and holds her paw up (without thundershirt) . They work for a lot of different situations. Good luck.

Isn't it great to have a sister

Sybil88 is offline Junior Member

I work at a dog day care and we use them there. You'd be surprised how well they work. But at the same time they dont work for all dogs. It's definatley worth a try.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I recently got one for Boo and it has helped tremendously on her fear of thunderstorms. Next try will be when we go to the vet, she gets so anxious while riding in the car!

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

I am so glad to hear other people use it and love it! I cant believe the difference! My husband and I went to another movie last night and left her in her crate with her wearing the shirt. She also had blankets (we dont normally do that because she would destroy them) and when we came home everything was the same! She stayed so calm! I wish I found this before.
    Hera's Mom

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Definitely use and love it! Emma is no longer a quivering, hysterical mess during thunder storms. I have also started to use it on her when my son is working at night. She used to pace and whine when she "thought" he should be home. Now she will settle and even go to sleep with it on.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

See my recent post. It worked really well for Duke.
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...work-duke.html

Duke and Freckles at their country home