Diarrhea - Need fairly quick replies please :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea - Need fairly quick replies please :)

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultDiarrhea - Need fairly quick replies please :)

Dee had diarrhea this morning. Nothing since then and she is not vomiting.....nor does she seem ill. She seems pretty much fine other than having a very watery (and bloody) bowel movement. The blood in it worried me because she's never had anything like that. It probably seemed like more than it was, but it did seem like a fair bit. It's Sunday of course, but I called my vet and he said no food this evening.....just water or chicken/beef broth. If she's okay tomorrow boiled chicken and rice for breakfast. And I have to take in a sample when she next goes.

My question.....He said to give her 2 teaspoons of either Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate. I never thought to ask which he would prefer and the pharmacist wasn't sure.....being as she wasn't familiar with what to give dogs. The Pepto seems to be for nausea, heartburn, upset stomach and diarrhea... while the Kaopectate says for relief of Diarrhea and Cramps. She's not off her food (not by choice anyway) and I don't think her stomach is upset.....just the bloody diarrhea this morning. Has anyone used either of these for their dogs and which would you think would be best?

TIA
    (Also posted in Lab Chat)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Sorry have never given either.
    The only thing I can add is that in people Pepto changes the color of the stool and makes it look like it is tarry/bloody. I would think it could do the same thing in dogs, so just something to be aware of if you go that route.
    Sorry I don't have any more practical advice to offer, but it sounds as though either one should help or the vet would have specified.

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

I often hear people using Pepto for diarherra.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have used Pepto for diarherra and never had any issues. I would question why you would give it for just one episode. in an adult dog though. Personally in an I would use some pumpkin first. The blood would concern me the most.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Gastro enteritis needs a vet visit but is usually easy to recover from. Make sure ther is plenty of water to hand and some rehydrate if you have it.

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

The rest of the day has been uneventful. Hoping over night is the same. She had a bowl of no salt added chicken broth and really enjoyed it. Her appetite is fine......though only the chicken broth allowed for dinner. No more diarrhea at this point....just the one bout this morning, no temperature and no vomiting. Yes my biggest concern was the blood (and it seemed like a fair bit) and that's why I called the vet on a Sunday (the only day they are closed Murphy's Law). She is not a dog that has a sensitive digestive system, but aside from that she hasn't had anything to eat out of the normal and she's not one for picking up garbage.....plus she is almost always right with us. The very odd time she's had diarrhea, but never with blood in it....or certainly nothing noticable. As soon as she has a bm I'll take a sample to the vet and I guess we'll just see how things go tomorrow or if there is a reoccurence. The fact that the blood was bright red seems to indicate that it came from the lower bowel from what I've read. Just wish I knew what caused it, because you'd think something really would have to have irritated the lining of her intestine to cause it to bleed like that.

Tammy, I did tell the vet she'd only had one episode of the diarrhea. I guess he felt the Pepto or Kao would settle things down, but thankfully aside from the one episode this morning she has seemed totally fine. I thought she seemed a little quiet earlier, but that could just have been me worrying. She wasn't pleased about not getting dinner. Whatever caused it is hopefully over.....fingers crossed. Thanks for your replies.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Sorry just seeing this.
    Can't offer any help as we have other things when Erns gut plays up.
    I have been told if they vomit whether bloody or not it is higher in the digestive system and blood or diarrhea is lower.

Good thoughts it was a one off and she is ok now. I would take a sample to the vet just to be sure.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Definitely take a sample with you to the vet. It is also my understanding that if the blood is bright red it is from the lower bowel. I am glad she has not had any further episodes and hope that your vet is able to give you a definitive answer tomorrow. Sending good thoughts to Dee and you, I have no doubt it was a scary day for you. Good luck at the vets, please keep us posted when you get a chance.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

labby is offline Senior Member

Pepto has aspirin like ingredients in it and therefore my vet doesn't recommend it. I use Kao if I need a quick diarrhea stopper. However, having said that, I keep Bio-Sponge on hand and since I travel, I keep a supply in the car. Small Animal Bio-Sponge® | Platinum Performance

Recently one of my puppy people called to tell me their dog was having loose stool. It was a weekend and her car wasn't cooperating and it was a 2 hour drive to the ER Vet. I reminded her she had Bio-Sponge and to give him that. Diarrhea was gone within 24 hours and hasn't been back.

Laura

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for that link Laura!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast