Just a little off

Thread: Just a little off

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust a little off

Buddy has stayed pretty close at the bark park. Doesn't play as much as he did. Might just be the mix of dogs.
    Though he has a large collections of chew, plush, and squeaky toys he is not using them. Other than an elk antler, he sleeps.
    When left in the house alone he has started gathering laundry. Bad thing is he does not put it in the washer. He just makes a new pile in the bed room.
    Plus he has started unearthing treasures we have not seen in years.

I am chalking this up as grieving for the loss of Jack. We try to take him with us, and pay attention to him.I don't know what else to do.

Sunday we are taking him to a farm with some other dogs that are doing herding. 50 acre lake, wide selection of duck, goose, sheep, goat and donkey smells and poop to explore as well as maybe meeting some new friends.

Wednesday he starts Novice Rally class that will meet for six weeks. After that I hope he will earn his CGC and TDI.

We are also back on the foster list with LRRP

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

He needs time, Andy. Don't push him... guide him and let him seek his own level. He'll find it, but you have to take HIS lead to show you the way now. Trust me on this one, little brudder.

Seamus and Flynn

georgie is offline Senior Member

I hope he is just missing Jack. The new class should keep Buddy busy. I am sure they grieve too. Good for you Andy, taking in a new foster. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Andy, when Marshal died Romy lost her best friend. Those two played together by the hour with their toys. She has never played with a single toy for more than a minute or two since his passing. To this day, that makes me sad. She seems to enjoy one on one play dates which we try to do often. I know Romy would enjoy another dog in the house as long as it is one she could look up to - a big brother so to speak. Good luck with Buddy. He needs to grieve Jack along with you.
    Last edited by pbc; 05-12-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I agree with all the above. Wheon Ozzy died suddenly, collapsing in my bedroom less than an hour after his last visit to the vet, Emma refused to set foot in my bedroom. This was almost 2 years ago and it has only been recently that she will even come back in to my room. They both slept with me on the bed every night and Emma still will not sleep in my room. She lost interest in everything she loved, walks, toys, fetch, eating, etc and it took qiuite a while for her interest in many things to return. When we brought Maxx home she was initially not interested in but she quickly decided he might just be interesting. Although Emma and Maxx seem to love each other their relationship is nothing compared to the one she had with Ozzy. Her anxiety increased and that has not changed much. She definitely mourner her big brother, I never would have thought a dog could grieve so deeply. She also began some odd behaviors but fortunately they disappeared shortly after the arrival of Maxx. I am willing to bet Buddy will be back to pretty much normal when you add to your family. Poor guy is missing his Jack and needs some time, patience, extra loving, (all of which I have no doubt he is getting), once he has some time to heal and you add to your family I have no doubt he will come right around. I believe our dogs also pick up on our feelings so knowing his people are hurting may be affecting him also. Sending good thoughts to all of you.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Buddy is definitely grieving the loss of his big brother and mentor. All the previous posts have given good advice. (((hugs))) to you, LabMom, and Buddy.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

'Possum is offline Junior Member

Hi. I lost my Jackson suddenly in April, and my other dog, Samson, lost his best friend. For the first two weeks, we could not get Samson to walk out of our development--it was as if he thought we left Jackson back at the house. He is coming around slowly (nearly 4 weeks since Jackson crossed.) This morning Samson once again refused to leave the development I found that Samson's interest in exercise and life in general picked up when I put him in my car, and drove to a new location for a walkie. So we have been re-exploring the marina, the park in the rich neighborhood, and the park near horse rescue (horses and wild turkeys to see.) I had a walk date with my neighbor's dog on Friday, and that went well. I also have started basic obedience practice all over again (Samson is a 12 year old Schipperke mix), and the diversions seem to help. The rest of the time, Samson just sleeps. I think they grieve too, and they certainly seem to pick up on sadness.