So Hamilton needs to lose weight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Hamilton needs to lose weight

judiz is offline Senior Member

DefaultSo Hamilton needs to lose weight

Hamilton has an ear infection so we were at the vet today. The infection is yeast based so the vet cleaned out the infected ear, gave me drops and told us to come back next week for a recheck. She also told me that at 75 lbs Hamilton is overweight. Aside from cutting down on the amount of kibble we give him and getting him to exercise more, any other suggestions for weight control? Hamilton is a couch potato so getting him to exercise will be a challenge.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

One good idea is to add unsalted (or rinsed regular) green beans and reduce his kibble. The beans will help him feel full.

What kibble do you feed? Is this his first ear infection?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Will definitely start offering him green beans, we are currently feeding Hamilton Merrick kibble, a mixture of grain free and regular until he is fully switched to grain free. He had an ear infection last year at this time of the year also, Hammie has seasonal allergies.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Don't forget about treats and table scraps. They will put weight on not off you can still use some fruits/veggies though!! Not to many.if it is warm enough and Hamilton likes to swim that can help some,also :-)
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Is he a small Lab? At 75lbs and a male Lab I don't understand why a vet would say he is overweight. If he is indeed overweight, reducing the kibble and adding greens will help but he definitely needs to get more exercise!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

When Mitzi and Judy were overweight, they both lost 10 pounds over the summer just from longer walks.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

I have a couch potato as well and just went through this. I reduced the kibble about 1/4 cup per day (not per meal). That with walks the weight slowly came off. He is down to his proper weight now and looks a lot better. You may need to reduce more or less, it's a bit of trial and error. I reduced the kibble a small amount so that the weight didn't come off fast or leave the dog feeling like he's being starved. The weight loss was gradual, but it worked. Now I just need to keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't loose too much weight. I think the trick is to figure out the right amount to feed and then stick with it.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Can you post a pic of him from above and from the side? This may be another case of someone not really understanding what Labs are supposed to look like.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Re: green beans: if they are canned, do I cook them first or can they be served straight out of the can? I only buy sodium free as my husband has high blood pressure. The only treats Hamilton gets are apple slices, carrots and I buy organic cookies, we are cutting back on the number of cookies he gets a day. I'm thinking between my husband, my son and I, Hamilton was getting too many cookies because no one asked how many cookies he had already eaten before giving him one. He absolutely will not get into a swimming pool, he hates the water, even refusing to go for a walk when it's raining.
    Last edited by judiz; 05-12-2013 at 02:00 PM.

006.jpg This photo was taken of Hamilton in February, not sure if it's helpful but I will try to find a more recent photo to upload.
    Last edited by judiz; 05-12-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast