Walks are making want to drive around the block instead
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walks are making want to drive around the block instead

Marleys Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultWalks are making want to drive around the block instead

Hello, my 7 month old yellow lab mix is quite a handful lately. We have gotten through potty training, teething and several health issues that had me to and from the vet every few weeks for the first 3 months. Lol. Now we have walking, barking and flip out sessions! I want the potty training back! I seriously think it was easier.

To keep this short...lol...

Walking...is now pulling like crazy the whole 30 mins. I try and take him on two 30 min walks a day. Plus he is rushing people on bikes, walking, especially with dogs...he's just so friendly, not aggressive.

Barking...I am home all day with him so he gets a lot of attention and play time. He is great til about 4 pm. Then he barks at nothing. I try to play ball with him, get him his toys, nothing. Just barking.

Flip outs...oh my. He gets normally two 30 min walks a day, playtime, and wrestling when daddy gets home. Why does he flip out and run like a jack rabbit before bed? Shouldn't he be exhausted?

Sorry so long, I'm a new mom, I don't have kids so Marley is my first baby. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marleys Mom; 05-07-2013 at 11:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Gracie will be 11 months on May 15. She still pulls like a Mule Team sometimes (on a scent).
    She has improved a lot since she was 7 months.....hang in there !

Thank you..she's beautiful.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

That degree of exercise is not going to tire many Labs out. He sounds like he needs more training and more exercise (like off leash running, hard games of fetch or time with other dogs).

Have you enrolled in an obedience class with him?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I had Kass as a pup and by 7 months I wondered what possessed me to get a dog. I decided not only to tire her out physically, but mentally. She thrived on it and the more I taught her the better she behaved and the closer we became. She chewed my slippers so I taught her bring them to me. Source of treats never touched again. She picked up her own toys, played find, which hand is the treat, and other mentally stimulating things. We went to a dog club and did agility, obedience, paws to music, tracking and fly ball. She loved it. If she was bored her antics started.
    She was an amazing dog.

Erns would flip over and do the crocodile death roll trying to rip my hand off. He was older, but hadn't been trained. Only thing I knew to do was do what I had with Kassa. It took a long time, being consistent, and patient...which was hard work. He will never be the most obedient dog. He is manageable with a spark in his eye and another heart dog. He lets me think I have control, I let him get away with a little and we have a wonderful bond.
    Last edited by kassabella; 05-08-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sounds like be may need more exercise - off leash running specifically. play dates with other dogs would be best, fetching can work to.

it can be a hard period the teenage months. amp up exercise and mental exercise (training, games, feed him in interactive toys like a kong or tug a jug or kong wobbler)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

regarding the training - once he knows a command, proof it, then. bring the training outside and part of the walk now needs to be training. start by setting up far away from distractions/triggers and as he is ok there slowly get closer (this is done over many days/weeks).

training classes would be great too, a good place to practice with controlled distractions
    Last edited by Tanya; 05-08-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

And that running around like a nut at the end of the day? That's a sign of a happy dog. We call if butt-tucking and most Labs do this. Mine do it every day in the house - one butt tucks and the other one spins in circles in place like a complete geek.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

I definitely see a direct correlation to Jaxx's behavior and how much exercise he's getting. During the work week his behavior is a bit worse and he's much more vocal. On the weekends he is much more laid back and obedient. I strive to make sure he gets as much exercise and interaction as possible during the week.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

Thank you all, I really appreciate the support! I have been trying to look into training, but can't find any classes right now. I am looking at a lot of training videos and we are thinking of getting a fence so he can run leash free. The one dog park we have is huge and crowded. I feel so scared of other dogs there and plus its a bit unsanitary cause a lot don't pick up their dogs messes. I'm just going to try and work with him each day and try and be patient. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast