Health Question

Thread: Health Question

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHealth Question

I know there is a Health section, but Lab Chat gets vastly more traffic so I am posting my question here.

Within the last month, my Lexi has developed issues with a few toe nails. First it was one on her back paw, she'd been fussing with it for about a week. I keep looking at her foot, checking her toes, between them the pads. Never thought to look at the nails. Turns out the hard part of the nail had separted from the soft underside and was infected. Vet put her on 14 days of antibiotics & gave me Rimadyl. It is healing nicely, just waiting for the nail to fall off.

Last week, I noticed two nails on front paw where starting to separate too. Back to the vet we went, she looked at them & believes an auto-immune issue is causing this. She put her on an Omega 3 Fish Oil supplement. I had her bathed and brushed at the kennel over the weekend.

My parents noticed over the weekend, that her freshly bathed smell was gone. I'm away for work, so I don't know what they mean by "she smells". Obviously, trying to figure this out is tough but I wanted to put this out there to see if anyone has any ideas. Could it be the Omega 3 Fish Oil that is causing her to smell? I have not changed her food or anything else she eats, the Fish Oil is the only new addition.

Thanks.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Remind me how old Lexi is. Shanny's nails used to be like that. I switched her food and while they aren't perfect, they're much better.

The fish oil could be causing the odor, or it's whatever is going on with her. The nails are biotin. The coat is biotin. Both could be affected by whatever it is. Usually if you're going to smell the fish, it's in the breath. It can take awhile for the Omega fats to kick in. Will she eat sardines?

Laura

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

My Aila had the same issue with her nails. My vet recommended fish oil supplements which we started her on right away and have continued to do so for about the last year. Her nails are much, much better and I don't find her to have any odour. She still smells the same and her coat is very healthy and shiny as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Remind me how old Lexi is. Shanny's nails used to be like that. I switched her food and while they aren't perfect, they're much better.

The fish oil could be causing the odor, or it's whatever is going on with her. The nails are biotin. The coat is biotin. Both could be affected by whatever it is. Usually if you're going to smell the fish, it's in the breath. It can take awhile for the Omega fats to kick in. Will she eat sardines?
    My Lexi is somewhere around 9. I don't know if she'll eat sardines, she eats pretty much everything else, so I would say a good chance she will.

Will giving her the sardines work faster or eliminate the smell? Whether it is her or her breathe, I will have to ask my parents. I am away on business so they are watching her.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I feed Tess fish and fish oil. Neither smell on her breath or coat. She was a smelly dog due to her yeast infections, so the reason she is on a fish diet and smell ok now. Stinks the house out, but not her.

It is a worry when things change when you are away. I hope it settles soon.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/