Frontline question?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frontline question?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrontline question?

Neighbor has a mix breed that looks a lot like a flat coat retriever, about 40 lbs.

She was at the vet this morning and had Frontline applied. About an hour after they got home, the dogs back end collapsed. Couldn't get up, walk, almost like the back end was paralyzed. It is 8+ hours later and the dog is doing much better, but is still not back to full spirit, speed, happy greetings with associated jumping, but still improving.

Has anyone had any experience like this? If yes, what do you use for flea and ticks? My neighbor has asked me if there is an organic alternative?

TIA
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have heard of this type of reaction to topical flea/tick preventatives. I am not sure of the organic alternatives, other than going over your dog daily for ticks. I believe it takes awhile of the tick being attached for any potential disease to be transmitted. So, if you can catch the ticks on the dog within a day or two, you should be safe. I know that there is at least one forum member thou that lost his believed pug to a tick born disease, so it all depends on the risks you are willing to take.

That being said, I do use Frontline Plus about 3-4 times a year on my dogs. I would prefer not to, but with five dogs, and living in an extreme tick area, it is just easier for me. I apply Frontline, and can find 20+ dead ticks in their crates...all small, so they had not attached for long. I HATE TICKS!!!! It is making me scratch my head and check for ticks on me just thinking of it!!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I've never tried it, but I've seen this : Amazon.com: Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade 10 Lb: Patio, Lawn & Garden

"Food grade Diatomaceous Earth is a completely safe and non-toxic substance that dehydrates and damages fleas as well as their larva and eggs, without harming pets or pet owners. And it can be used anywhere. We recommend using the food grade variety as it is finer and works far better. Pool filter grades are often treated with chemicals as well.
    Let's get rid of those fleas!
    1. Simply sprinkle and gently rub handfuls of Diatomaceous Earth onto and into your pet's fur, gently opening and shaking the fur as you go as well to settle the Diatomaceous Earth onto the skin. Keep the material away from the eyes and nose as it can cause sneezing or slight irritation if inhaled, however the material is fully safe for eating and even takes care of internal parasites like worms and other health problems when ingested!

2. Be sure to sprinkle a fine layer wherever your pet roams or sleeps, anywhere in cracks and crevices as well as any carpets or large cloths, furniture, etc.

3. You'll want to vacuum up and dust every 2 to 3 days and reapply around the house until the problem has disappeared - which should be very quickly. Also, if your pet continues to have trouble, continue to reapply the Diatomaceous Earth every few days until the problem clears up. The entire home will be flea free in no time!"

...as I said, I've never tried it. It's inexpensive. They say it works. I use Frontline Plus on Jack. We tried the K9 Advantix...it sort of made him crazy. He ran around like he just couldn't stop, he drooled, I just hated it. Will never use that again. Anyway, hope this helps your friend. It's an option.

*quoted area from Homesteading Self Sufficiency Survival face book page*
    Last edited by KathyArch; 05-07-2013 at 08:39 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

She didn't go to the vet just to have Frontline applied, did she? Maybe had a vacination in the hip? That would be more likely to affect the back end like that.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone. Dora went in for her annual. I don't know what shots she may have gotten at the same time. I suspect the symptoms probably were from a shot also, but my neighbor is insistent the only thing different this year was the Frontline. I saw the dog this morning, and she is showing no signs of any negative effect.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    Neighbor has a mix breed that looks a lot like a flat coat retriever, about 40 lbs.

She was at the vet this morning and had Frontline applied. About an hour after they got home, the dogs back end collapsed. Couldn't get up, walk, almost like the back end was paralyzed. It is 8+ hours later and the dog is doing much better, but is still not back to full spirit, speed, happy greetings with associated jumping, but still improving.

Has anyone had any experience like this? If yes, what do you use for flea and ticks? My neighbor has asked me if there is an organic alternative?

TIA
    Do a Google on Frontline reactions. Downright scary. I know someone whose dog starting having seizures 2 years ago. He does not come from a line that has epilepsy. He was past the age that we usually see onset of epilepsy. However, every month this dog had a seizure that was getting worse. She knew the dog would prolly die from the next one. Desperate, she contacted her vet and they put the dog on Phenobarb. The woman was a wreck thinking she was going to lose her beloved dog.

One night, the lightbulb went on and she jumped out of bed and consulted her calendar. Sure enough, the seizures had come within 2 days of her applying Frontline. She called me at 2 AM and I agreed that it could very well be the Frontline. While she waited for her vet to open, she did some research on Frontline. Afterwards, despite the fact that she lives in a high tick area, she was determined she would never use the stuff again.

They weaned the dog off of the Phenobarb and held their breath. The dog never had another seizure. So, yes it's possible the Frontline is causing the neuro issue. It's a neuro-toxin so it could very well cause paralysis.

Laura

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I used Frontline on Shadow, and she would react like it hurt her every time I put it on. I stopped using it on her, but had a few left when I first got Buddy. He reacted the very same way when I put it on him, so I threw the rest out and have never used it again.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

joflake is offline Senior Member

I don't know about the Frontline, I've always used K9 Advantix, but I haven't used it this year at all, and I've decided I'm not going to. All these pesticides we're pumping into out animals, it's no wonder they end up with problems. I don't have a flea problem and I'll take my chances with the ticks. I figure if we're getting a Lymes vaccine, I don't need the tick repellant. If I did end up with a flea problem, there are other ways to deal with that, like the good old sulfur creek! lol

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Laura, what do you use on your gang, if anything? I stopped using Frontline about a year and a half ago because it scares me. My neighbors cat went into convulsions right in front of me after having it applied. My guys get the lyme vaccination, and we always check for ticks. I just hope that's enough.

I also don't use Heartguard, what do you guys think about that? I'm on the fence with that one.

Ed, glad your neighbors dog seems to be OK now.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

citronella is offline Senior Member

Wow that is scary. I use the tick collar on my dogs. We haven't had any reports of tick diseases yet and I also use the tick drops that we can get at Walmart. It works well and we are in a high tick area. Friday we finally had some nice weather, even plus temperatures after days of snow and what is crawling on my head Friday night, but a tick. I was so darned pissed, thought we would at least have the weekend with nice weather and no ticks.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast