puppy potty training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: puppy potty training

Sybil88 is offline Junior Member

Unhappypuppy potty training

I am familar with dogs. Ive been around them since I was a kid. I have potty trained many dogs before BUT my lab puppy is throwing me off. I understand that she is young but I would think that she would start to get the concept of eliminating outside. I work a mid shift but my husband is home during the day so she isnt locked up. I guess the biggest issue is that she will go outside and go to the bathroom outside but will come in and go again. It doesnt matter how long she is outside; she still does her business inside too. Any subjestions? I dont want to make her an outside dog. I need to something about this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Did you make sure to thoroughly clean all accident areas with Natures Miracle or a similar enzyme cleaning product? How old is your puppy? Taking them out after they eat, as soon as they wake up, after a play session and at least hourly on top of that should work. Keep puppy tethered to you or crated when you can't keep an eye on them may also help.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Hey Tammy, I have found that restriction ie: the crate is the best way to potty train, even though my puppy is with me 24/7. My pup, Todd, is 4 months and sometimes I think he get's it and other times it's like "what happened to you?" But I have to blame myself, the only accidents Todd has in the house now, is when I'm not watching him. I really think we have to train ourselves and not the dogs for the first few months, and then by the time we are trained...the dogs stop going in the house. lol. Todd, wouldn't go potty in his crate at night (he would wake me to take him out though), and he hasn't ever had any accidents in my office. He is restricted to a small area around my desk. I take him out when he wakes, about 20 mins after he eats and the worst is when he is playing, he will have to pee probably every 15 minutes. I just keep taking him out. Each month, it gets longer and longer in between. Today at work, Todd made it from 9 to 12:30 before I took him out. Yay!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Not sure how old you pup is but most are potty trained by 4-5 months of age as long as you are consistent. Some may be a little earlier or a little later. Part if the process is consistency, part is maturity both physical and mental.

My pup just turned 5 months old. His last pee "accident" in the house was about a month ago. He was around 12 weeks of age the last time he pooped in the house. He now consistly goes to the door when he needs out. My chocolate was closer to 4 months of age.
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

Freckles is offline Member

I had heard some pups do this..that they always seem to need to go 2 times. Perhaps come in and then go back out again shortly after? I am still learning myself so interested to hear what the experienced pup parents have to say

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

There is just no substitute for watching the puppy all the time while in the house. You will learn the puppy's body language and see when he is about to squat. There is usually a 2-3 second warning (different walk, sniffing, circling) at which point you SCOOP that puppy up and SCOOT outside while saying "potty outside" in a somewhat demented cheery voice. Even if they start to squat, do the same and bring them out. I kept a few old handtowels around so I could douse the hose when picking him up while Blaise was peeing (helps keep the clothes dry). They will make the connection.

When you can't watch the puppy he should be in the crate.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Did you make sure to thoroughly clean all accident areas with Natures Miracle or a similar enzyme cleaning product? How old is your puppy? Taking them out after they eat, as soon as they wake up, after a play session and at least hourly on top of that should work. Keep puppy tethered to you or crated when you can't keep an eye on them may also help.
    We clean her messes up thoroughly and we try to get her out as close to every hour. She is almost 4 months old. I didnt think about tethering her to her crate or me. I will start that first thing tomorrow. Thanks

Thank you everyone for your subjestions. Tomorrow starts a new day of potty training.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sybil88 View Post
    We clean her messes up thoroughly and we try to get her out as close to every hour. She is almost 4 months old. I didnt think about tethering her to her crate or me. I will start that first thing tomorrow. Thanks

It's not just about cleaning thoroughly, it's about what you use to clean. Household cleaners (Mr. Clean, Lysol, Pine Sol, whatever) will not eliminate the urine scent message that tells your puppy to "Pee Here!". Unless you use the correct enzymatic cleaner you are making this more difficult for yourself.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

And you don't want to tether the puppy to the crate, only to you! If you are unable to do this and can not directly supervise your puppy he should be in the crate. These things help you keep the puppy under control at all times.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast