All of a sudden afraid of things on walk?

Thread: All of a sudden afraid of things on walk?

UnhappyAll of a sudden afraid of things on walk?

Earlier I took Hanna on our daily night walks as usual and tonight she showed very strange behavior this time. She was walking the furthest she could on the leash at this one point of the road all of a sudden. I walk with a flashlight so I can see in the dark and we always walk in the same place every time on this section on the side of a secondary road. Doesn't get spooked by cars or anything like that and actually barks and runs after any animal like deer that may be in the yard when she sees them, but hasn't shown fearfulness in a long time back when I first got her where she was afraid of every single object/people/etc. I thought it was the weirdest thing. Cannot think of what it might be other than some raccoons or possums have been active while out for walks or this smelly groundhog carcass someone threw to the side of the road? Do you she might be afraid of the smell? I'm so confused right now.
    Last edited by Thesilentone; 05-04-2013 at 04:32 AM.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Was she a small puppy when you got her or did someone else have her before? Who knows what spooked her. Maybe she smelled something, maybe she saw something, maybe she heard something, maybe there wasn't anything, or one of her old phobias returned. If she does it again, try to not react to her fears or comfort her. Just continue to walk as if nothing's wrong and she will pick up on your confidence. If you suspect that there is something out there you should be afraid of (bear) , don't walk at night. Just take her around the house at night for potty.

labby is offline Senior Member

Maybe she smelled something and it worried her.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab1 is offline Junior Member

yeah - if its a one time thing. make nothing of it. just continue your regular rutine. but if it happens again. maybe there is somthing in the woods that scars her. dogs have very good instincs. so if it happnes more then once i guess there is a reason for it.

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

How old is she ? Is it very frequent ?
    Gracie gets spooked sometimes on walks after dark..... I just pat/comfort her ....

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    Was she a small puppy when you got her or did someone else have her before? Who knows what spooked her. Maybe she smelled something, maybe she saw something, maybe she heard something, maybe there wasn't anything, or one of her old phobias returned. If she does it again, try to not react to her fears or comfort her. Just continue to walk as if nothing's wrong and she will pick up on your confidence. If you suspect that there is something out there you should be afraid of (bear) , don't walk at night. Just take her around the house at night for potty.
    No I didn't have her when she was a pup, I got her when she was 2 1/2 years old. She has been through 3 different people supposedly so, she has been around this state for awhile. I kept on walking with her, ignoring it and basically had to drag her with me, trying to get closer to whatever she is afraid of.

Quote Originally Posted by poopypuppy View Post
    How old is she ? Is it very frequent ?
    Gracie gets spooked sometimes on walks after dark..... I just pat/comfort her ....
    She is about 5 1/2 now. This behavior just started last night.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ernbar64 is offline Junior Member

I have experienced the same thing when I walk my 9 month old pup Lab/Rottweiler but not when I walk our 9 year old Bichon. The other night she was growling at something at a distance in the dark that turned out to be a garbage container. Maybe it's shadows or an animal that's hiding, who knows?

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

Jaxx is pretty fearless... but Missy panics at the slightly change in noise or movement when we're outside. It makes it hard because all she wants to do is jump into my arms, but I want her to learn that she's not in danger.

As others said, I wouldn't worry unless it continues.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12