Bentley got bit last night :/

Thread: Bentley got bit last night :/

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultBentley got bit last night :/

last night at dog training we were practicing healing. well we were crossing each other so the dogs get used to working by each other. i had Bentley on my left side and he was in a perfect sit(not the lazy sit which he has mastered finally,but the good "square" sit,which I am proud he decided to do it!). Anyway there was a little boy with a dog next to me. it was sniffing my leg and i just ignored it and kept my eyes on Bentley. Bentley looked at the dog,just turned his head,no growl nothing just his normal "high" and air sniff. That is when the dog bit him on the nose. i yanked him back pretty fast and the dog did not bite all the way down. the dog that bit him even tried to bite a younger golden retriever and my friends basset hound. So I know it was not Bentley,plus he gave no signs for why the dog bit him. the trainers put Zeena(the dog) between me and a ESS that was there because our dogs ignore the other dogs usually. Bentley has no marks since the dog was not able to clamp down since i pulled Bentley back in time. Yes,I did talk to the trainer about it. It just aggravates me because of past bad experiences with dogs he had/has fear aggressive issues with some dogs. We have been working hard at it and he has gotten SO much better but i have a feeling this is going to back fire.so now the trainers are putting me between two dogs Bentley likes and knows. I'm just hoping we are not back at square one. He didn't seem to fazed by it and was fine with some other dogs,just a little nervous when we left with all the dogs leaving the gate at once. This is Bentleys last year in 4-H :/ If he didnt have some problems anyway i would think about doing it another year but this is the last year for bent.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I bet if you stay calm and ignore the other dog Bentley will too!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Oh no, sorry this happened. It's always hard, you can't control other dogs or the owners. Sounds like Bentley is doing well though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I bet if you stay calm and ignore the other dog Bentley will too!
    I agree with this. You didn't allow Bentley to be harmed, so I think he'll forget it. We tend to worry about encounters WAY more than they do. Bauer was attacked by 2 Boston terriers twice, and I was worried that he would be afraid of our neighbor's Boston . . . but he isn't. I think we put a lot more weight on it than they do.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Agree with Tanya & Debi

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with him!

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

How old is the "little boy" with the dog that bit? Old enough to be responsible for such a dog? Stuff happens and it sounds like no harm was done but I can't help wondering if your trainer was remiss in allowing a too young, or too inexperienced a handler to be in your class?

Give Bently a kiss on his nose for me. Poor boy, did not deserve that.

Sheesh, in my first class with Jet a woman showed up with a rescued young adult GSD with dog and people aggression problems and fully expected our trainer to teach her 7 year old, who weighed less than the dog, to be able to handle it. Our trainer put an end to that idea, the Mum had to train it but she quit the class, very sadly. She needed it more than anyone else there.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Well,we met a loose dog on our walk last night and he was fine. he gave a small sniff and walked away. So I'm guessing he was not fazed,thankfully. The boy is under ten(keep in mind this is 4-H).
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.