Why wont my Lab "fetch", and sit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why wont my Lab "fetch", and sit.

dukesterNC is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhy wont my Lab "fetch", and sit.

Hello all,

I have a Lab/Beagle/ and a little Pit mix. I recently have been trying so hard on getting him to "fetch".
    I have heard many things such as, "Lab's aren't known for their fetching ability. I can't personally believe that statement. But I really would like my dog to fetch with me outside.
    When I throw the ball he runs over to it like he wants it, and the little bit of time that he does pick it up, he doesn't bring it back or he drops it "one second" after he picks it up.
    Any tips or advice on how to get him to fetch

Now onto Sitting,
    Ok, when I ask my dog to sit we does not do it. Simple as that. When he doesn't listen I tap on his back near the tail end, and he eventually sits. Any advice or help on how to get him to sit as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dukesterNC is offline Junior Member

Also, He is about 1 year old or so. He Weight's a good 50 pounds if that gives you any extra details, I know it's harder to train if they are more grown.

Samson is offline Senior Member

You are doing the right thing with the sit but you don't mention treats ? Treats give tehm a reason to do what you ask as they are rewarded. Some people say that you can do it without treats and they may be right but I prefer to make it fun for them.

Likewise, they need to be excited to retrieve and treats again will help in this area. If it's not treated as fun and there is no incentive then why would they try to please you ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Are you just now starting to train your dog? Did you just get him?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Contrary to popular belief not every full blooded, well bred Lab is a fetcher. Did you enroll this dog in a puppy or obedience class? It is never too late and maybe you just need some help with your technique. I have never had a puppy that didn't learn to sit, down, stay for short period of times and a few other things in the first week or so. I suggest a basic obedience class ASAP to start with.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 04-30-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: corrected to make sense, lol...
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Contrary to popular belief not every full blooded, well bred Lab is a fetcher. Did you unroll this dog in a puppy or obedience class?
    I'm trying to visulize how you would unroll a puppy in obedience class? It sounds pretty painful. Poor pup!

It's true that not every Lab is a natural ball chaser. I always joke I have a non retrieving retriever because I throw the ball & he just stands there waiting for me to bring back. He also HATES water.

To be fair, it could be because he's a rescue. I suspect his previous owners hardly played with him.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm going to chime in on this. As some background, my Lexi is about 9 years old, I adopted her from Lake Charles, LA almost 8 years ago. If she is a mixed with anything, I have no idea... I love her & that is all that matters.

1st, like others have said... make it fun. Whether it is retrieving, doing obedience (sit, stay, etc.) make it fun. Reward him with treats when he does what you have asked. At first, you'll probably want to reward him each time, but I would build up to every other time or so. In between reward him verbally, with a happy exuberant "good boy" or with his favorite toy.

On the fetching or retrieving aspect, my Lexi could care less about retrieving. I often say "she is a retriever by breed, not necessarily by practice". If I throw the ball for her, she might get it & bring it back once maybe a second or third time... after that forget it. She is not interested.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

dweck is offline Senior Member

Wes was 100% disinterested in retrieving. I'd toss a ball or a dumbbell, and he'd watch it sail into the distance and then look back at me as if to say: "Well, you threw it out there, chucklehead, YOU go get it."

After getting a CD title, Wes' obed career was basically over because he wouldn't retrieve worth a damn.

Parker is more 'into' retrieving.

Not sure if it's just the way each of them was put together or if I raised Parker differently than I did Wes. Probably a little of both.

I agree on keeping it fun. Tie a string to whatever it is you're tossing and use a long-line on the dog. The last thing you want to do is reinforce that ignoring the object is an option because you'll just go get it if they decide not to. And w/the long-line, you take away the option of picking up your whatever-it-is and romping all over the yard with it. Also -- Start small. Train 'hold it' and then 'give' (or whatever commands you want to use). Then work in some distance.

FWIW, I have never treat-trained.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    I'm trying to visulize how you would unroll a puppy in obedience class? It sounds pretty painful. Poor pup!

It's true that not every Lab is a natural ball chaser. I always joke I have a non retrieving retriever because I throw the ball & he just stands there waiting for me to bring back. He also HATES water.

To be fair, it could be because he's a rescue. I suspect his previous owners hardly played with him.
    Lol, how true! Not sleeping well these days! Meant to say enroll in obedience class! Thanks for helping me clear that boo-boo up!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck View Post

Parker is more 'into' retrieving.
    He better be!! His great-grandfather was a CH/MH!!

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast