My Dog Doesn't Trust Me.

Thread: My Dog Doesn't Trust Me.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy Dog Doesn't Trust Me. LOL ;)

REally, he doesn't trust me, has no faith in me. Us. He really seems to think that we would go on a long drive to see the Spring waterfalls opening up, get him out of the truck and leave without him. We got out at a picnic area to stretch our legs and offer him a pee break and a drink. He would not drink. Nope, not until he was back in the truck. Drink out here on the ground? No way. You people of doubtful intent might just leap in and drive away without me. No sirree, no tricking me, give me my drink in the truck please. Silly boy.

LOL, does your pup act the same way? Afraid you'll go without him or her?
    Last edited by Dog Paddle; 04-29-2013 at 08:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

The trouble with dogs - they can't tell you how they feel, what they think. We have to guess from their actions. My guess is that he loves you and trusts you. He just feels insecure in a strange place.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    The trouble with dogs - they can't tell you how they feel, what they think. We have to guess from their actions. My guess is that he loves you and trusts you. He just feels insecure in a strange place.
    Much more likely than him not trusting you. Some insecure dogs won't pee or poop off of their territory. He'll change as he matures.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

I agree with the insecurity theory. My Dozer is very timid and hates strange places and people and won't eat or drink if he's feeling particularily nervous....but he's a completely different dog when it's just us.

I'd bet that your boy will relax with time.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

My dog often won't drink or pee on road trips. This last time he did both and I did a happy dance at the rest stop. Of course this was immediately after he had clocked me in the lip (I had been gone for 30 seconds to the bathroom and he was excited to see me again) and left me looking like I had fever blisters all over my lips - right before a job interview. Good dog.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I obviously didn't put enough LOLs in this thread. What I get for trying to be funny on the internet. We actually thought it was cute as all get out when he wouldn't drink out of his bowl on the ground but would on the truck seat.

Oh, and he's five and half years old. And one of the reasons that this is funny, for him, is he's usually pretty darn sure of himself. It's just this little indication that we are important to him that we don't see every day because on a daily basis I think we are taken for granted was, well, a bit refreshing. Little monkey.

Not so little, he's 75 lbs and here's an example of trust. I don't let him jump in or out but we don't usually travel in the truck. The back seat of the truck is higher than he's used to and when I entice him to the edge in order to lift him down 75 pounds of dog launches into my arms for me to catch. Little monkey.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

They do weird stuff from time to time. We drive 10 hours to my mom's house several times per year, and the last trip home Bauer wouldn't drink out of his bowl when we stopped. My son had accidentally spilled water into a cup holder (a cup holder on the back of the van seat, the seat was folded down like a table). He drank water out of that cup holder, and only that cup holder, for the rest of the road trip. Weird!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    They do weird stuff from time to time.
    You know what? That's just the whole ball game right there. Yep. And they move on to another weirdness for a time. And so it goes.

Seamus and Flynn