There's a Bear in the woods!

Thread: There's a Bear in the woods!

cmndrJOE is offline Member

DefaultThere's a Bear in the woods!

Hi all! It's been a bit since I've posted. Since the last time I was here, Bear got over his cold/kennel cough (yay!), and he and I were kicked out of our old home (girlfriend and I broke up ). Luckily, my roomies are awesome, and don't mind him being at the house (we have a schnauzer and a pug at the house already. Now they have a big brother!). Also, we've had 2 obedience classes, and he is doing amazong! So, I knew Bear loved the waterhose. Had to lock him in the house when I watered the lawn because he is relentless when it comes to water. I took him to a giganic park here in town (just to give you an idea, the road that circles through the park is over 3 miles long). They have a dedicated dog park inside of it, and I figured I'd go investigate with Bear. He wasn't digging it too much, hardly any shade, and it was packed. I decided we oughtta go walk around the rest of the park, and we came across a shallow stream/creek type thing that runs between all 5 or so of the ponds in the park. At first, he wasn't sure what to do. I lead him to the edge (btw the particular area we were in, the water is no deeper than 6" in most areas), and he just stood next to me, sniffing the water lol. Over the course of the next 3 hours or so, he gathered up the courage to venture in, only ankle high at first, all the way up until this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2SD...e_gdata_player

As you can see, he eventually figured out he was a lab and loved water. In his obedience classes we are working on the come command. Come for us is used in an emergency (I.e. bolts out of door, gets out of yard, breaks leash ect). Every time I gave the command he ran to me without fuss. I guess thise classes are paying off lol. Oh also he's gained about 15 lbs in the oast cpl weeks. He's already huge, but still thinks he's a lap dog. Haha silly pup.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Cute video.

Bella

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

He looks like he is having a blast! Isn't it awesome when you work hard in classes and practice and you FINALLY see they are getting it?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes! It's great to know that the time we put in has paid off. He still has a little bit of puppy add sometimes, but for the most part he snaps out of it once I say leave it or come on. I havents tried any off leash training around people/other dogs yet. I'm not sure how that will go, I want to make sure he's 100% on all my commands before we take that step.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

He really took off going down the creek, didn't he! Go dog go!!

Seamus and Flynn

Haha once the figured out he liked water, I couldn't get him out. 3 hrs later and he finally came over and plopped down. Going to take him to the lake this weekend or the next, lets see how he likes that. I'm sure I will have pics/videos of him acting like a crazy pup again lol. He was showing off for the neihghbors today in the front yard, I should have tried to get a vid, but my phone was inside. He was playing fetch with himself with a 3" x 3" block of wood that the repair guy must have missed while he was here. He was pouncing on it, running in circles around it as fast as he could, then he would stop, stare it down, bow his head and stick his rump in the air, and with his tail wagging as fast as he could get it to go, he'd grab it, fling it in the air, chase it down, and the process started all over again. My roomie and I were cracking up. This went on for an hour before he brought the block of wood over to me and dropped it at my feet. Haha silly dog.