Raw diet causing roundworms and tapeworms? Help Please

Thread: Raw diet causing roundworms and tapeworms? Help Please

jrpilgrim is offline Junior Member

DefaultRaw diet causing roundworms and tapeworms? Help Please

Maggie has been eating a raw diet (when available) for about 2 years. Recently she got both roundworms and tapeworms. Our (closest) vet is 6 hours away and sent out Sentinel/Interceptor to take care of the roundworm but we drove in to get the injection for tapeworm. She said we have to stop giving her raw food because it's how she got worms.

All her meats are frozen prior to feeding and it's all meats we eat, too. All fish is from the Atlantic, no Pacific (mostly cod, capelin, and herring). She also eats moose, seal, rabbit, (all hunted by family) and chicken. Is it common for raw-fed dogs to get worms? Has anyone else had an issue with worms while on raw? I am being pressured to quit on the raw and I don't really want to, but we can't be making trips to the vet for tapeworm injections if it keeps happening. Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Do you eat the food raw as well? Cook it or try something else or buy a case lot size of dewmormer.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I did some research online for you and found parasites such as you have described can happen in dogs fed raw diets, especially from wild game. I am assuming you cook what you eat as opposed to your dog eating it raw and that's where the difference comes in to play. I hope this helps a little until those with more experience in this type of feeding can help you. It can be slow here on the weekends.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Roundworms come from the soil. I would suspect she's eating dirt? Chewing sticks?

Tapeworms come from fleas. Check her for fleas. If she doesn't have fleas, has she been eating rabbit poop or picking up dead carcasses anywhere? I know of a friend whose dog ate a rabbit and then ended up with tapes.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Do you eat the food raw as well? Cook it or try something else or buy a case lot size of dewmormer.
    No, we don't eat the food raw...I was just indicating that the meat was fit for human consumption.

I have chosen to feed a raw diet when I can (you can't feed the bone cooked)...was looking to hear from other raw feeders but didn't get any replies in the raw section...was advised to post elsewhere.

I appreciate everyone's help...but wondering if any raw feeders have any advice or experience dealing with worms?

Thanks again,

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I did some research online for you and found parasites such as you have described can happen in dogs fed raw diets, especially from wild game. I am assuming you cook what you eat as opposed to your dog eating it raw and that's where the difference comes in to play. I hope this helps a little until those with more experience in this type of feeding can help you. It can be slow here on the weekends.
    Yes, I have also researched a lot and found the same. However, the worms are normally found in the stomach/intestines of the animals, not the muscle. Maggie does not get the game whole so it seems unlikely to me. Thanks for your reply ...I do hope to hear from other raw feeders.

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Roundworms come from the soil. I would suspect she's eating dirt? Chewing sticks?

Tapeworms come from fleas. Check her for fleas. If she doesn't have fleas, has she been eating rabbit poop or picking up dead carcasses anywhere? I know of a friend whose dog ate a rabbit and then ended up with tapes.
    Well, her fave toy is any stick she can find...ALWAYS chewing on them. I'll check her for fleas but it's also possible she's been around rabbit poop. Thanks!

Jan
    Last edited by jrpilgrim; 04-28-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Wrong quote included

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Since a lot of non raw fed animals get both tapeworms and rounds, its a bit of a rush judgement by a vet to say it is the raw diet. There is a bit more risk when feeding wild game, but if precautions are taken its not common.

One of the big causes of tapeworms I have seen in dogs was eating kitty poo. Outdoor kitties eat rodents whole or fleas while cleaning, and wallah, they pass on tapeworms in their stool. Eating poo from animals infected by roundworms would be possible as well.

I usually never feed the stomach/intestines of raw meats I feed, which it sounds like you don't. I freeze any wild game we feed to pets for a minimum of 2 weeks as that kills 'most' parasites. There is one I believe in rabbits that freezing doesn't kill, can't recall that off the top of my head.

Since she has picked them up somewhere you might consider either doing a yearly fecal, or use heartworm pills that take care of roundworms on a regular basis. For tapeworms, those are actually visible in the stool or around the bum, look like white segments in fresh stool, or like dried rice around the bum or in places they sleep. So tapeworms are something you can visibly see evidence of if they become a problem again. There are pills for tapeworms, Droncit is what we used when I worked at vets years ago, unsure what the standard is currently. You could always get a script to get that through the mail rather then driving for an injection.