Do our pets love us?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do our pets love us?

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultDo our pets love us?

I love Mardi so much sometimes I think I am going to burst. I know she depends on me to provide almost everything she needs, but does she love me for doing this? Sometimes she gazes at me and I am certain she is feeling love, but maybe she is just wishing I would take her out for a walk, give her food, play with her, etc. I am the person who makes her sit quietly while I get her food and I am also the one who yanks her away from all the nasty stuff she finds while outside and always wants to et. She definitely wants to be super close to me or actually touching me but that might just be a need for security? Also, she LOVES absolutely everyone. I sometimes wonder if I gave her to a nice person if she might be just as happy. I hope she senses how much I appreciate, love and enjoy her. I have had her for 2.5 months and I really can't remember what I used to do before she came. We are joined at the hip--actually, her head comes up to my thigh. I live alone and she seldom sees anyone but me and the cats but I am about to get her into an obedience class so she mixes with other dogs--she has liked every dog we have met while walking--and she will also see other dog owners there.

Oh--something cute happened this evening. I drove through KFC to pick up my supper and the girl who took my money noticed Mardi and fell in love with her. She called another employee over and that girl asked if Mardi could have some chicken. I expected a small nugget that I would remove the breading from before I fed it to her but I was given a free small box and inside there were 5good chunks of white meat. I gave her only one because she is still having digestions problems and I saved the other four for my lunch tomorrow. People really do love her!

Nancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

YES. They love us as much as we love them. Yes, we take the nasty stuff away, we insist that they behave in an acceptable way....this adds respect to the love. I totally believe dogs are very capable of love and feel it for their "owners". I've never experienced such UNCONDITIONAL love, acceptance, devotion, even tolerance from a human as I get from my Jack. So yes, Nancy....Mardi does love you. I totally know what you're talking about, sometimes I look at Jack and I swear I can actually feel my heart melt a little. Enjoy her...love her. You'll get back what you give 10-fold.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh yes. They certainly do love. As long as....

their two squares a day are served at exactly the right time
    they each get their favorite spot in my bed at night
    the right amount of ball play takes place each day
    the living room lamp comes on early Saturday and Sunday morning (means Mom is not going to work those days)
    they each get their established viewing places in or near the bathroom while Mom gets ready for work
    they get to niff packages that arrive in the mail before Mom opens them
    they are not closed in a room or outside when workmen or tradesmen are in the house
    they get their cookies the moment I walk in the door at the end of the day

Change any one of these routines by so much as one jot and I fall from grace. For a little while.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

I think they do. I've been accused of attributing human thoughts and feelings to my dogs before. But, I can look into his eyes and see the absolute love, trust, and devotion there. They feel. Maybe not to the the same degree that we do, but it's there nonetheless.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

LindaMayRee is offline Member

Yep, I am certain of it. Though it may not be the very same as our love. it is love none-the-less.
    Linda
    Wife to my superman, mom to my three kiddos-2 daughters and 1 son, and my Lab Huckleberry.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I believe without a doubt they love us. Labs are unique in that they really are people dogs and will happily greet just about anyone and many will walk off with other people also, it is just their personality. I will say though when Maxx lays his big old Labby head on my shoulder and nuzzles my ear or is outside with Dad and he sees me and comes running for a hug I "know' he loves me. Sure they depend on us to meet their needs but so do our kids until they are oh around 25, lol! I can rarely go anywhere without Maxx, including the bathroom, he does not like me out of his sight. Their love is unconditional, what more could anyone ask for? If people think I am nuts and putting human emotion on my dogs they can keep right on thinking that. When I am cuddled up with my monkey I will remember to laugh at them!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

labby is offline Senior Member

Garth is offline Registered Users

I don't know. I'm confused. What does it mean when they give you the evil eye like this?

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Nice article, Laura. I read it to Seamus... he was nodding his head in agreement.

Seamus and Flynn

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    Nice article, Laura. I read it to Seamus... he was nodding his head in agreement.
    I know for years scientists said that dogs don't love. They respect, yes, but not love. I dare any of them to look into Jake's eyes and tell me he doesn't love me.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast