In general do Labs bark much?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In general do Labs bark much?

LindaMayRee is offline Member

DefaultIn general do Labs bark much?

I have never owned a Lab before but about any dog I have owned or been around barks from time to time. I have had Huckleberry for a little over a month but been around him for almost 2 months (from time he started visiting my house) and he has only barked one time. He barked when we were camping and stranger came walking out of the woods. It kinda startled me he barked. But it was nice to know he could.

Anyway, is this fairly typical or not so typical?
    Linda
    Wife to my superman, mom to my three kiddos-2 daughters and 1 son, and my Lab Huckleberry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathy4July is offline Junior Member

Each lab is an individual with different personalities. My experience with 2 labs that I have had for 13 years and 2 more that have been my " niece and nephew" is that they bark at appropriate times, when someone is at the door, an animal in the yard, one or two barks to come in or to signify "let's play". They have not been continuous barkers and respond when you say quiet or open the door to a guest. I remember one night they woke me up with an insistent bark that was diferent. Turned out there was a bear and three cubs in the yard. Fortunately I did not let them out. One of my friends had a lab that woke her up at night seemingly for no reason but it turned out she had a carbon monoxide leak. Just some thoughts...

Samson is offline Senior Member

It depends on the dog and the training !

I have one that barks if another dog in the neighbourhood barks, but they both bark if somebody comes to the door !

Out walking not a squeak !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What surprises me about Huckleberry is we hike so much. He has saw deer, turkey, other dogs, squirrels, and rabbits and never a bark. He chases after some of them but never makes a sound. People knock on the door and pull in our drive-way not a peep from him. But that man coming out of the woods sure got ONE single bark out of him.
    Linda
    Wife to my superman, mom to my three kiddos-2 daughters and 1 son, and my Lab Huckleberry.

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

I have Sadie, who has not barked one bark on more than maybe 5 occasions in the last 4 years and then I have had Ladie, who barked everytime he "thought" he saw saw or heard something around the house. Just depends on the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrownsmom View Post
    I have Sadie, who has not barked one bark on more than maybe 5 occasions in the last 4 years and then I have had Ladie, who barked everytime he "thought" he saw saw or heard something around the house. Just depends on the dog.
    Kinda like people I guess. I know some people who are always yapping and others who yap very little.
    Linda

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Ozzy would bark if something was wrong, it didn't happen often but if he barked I paid attention. Maxx rarely barks, in 2 years maybe 5 - 6 times. He has such a deep and almost scary bark. And come to think of it the times he has barked it has been for very good reasons.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

I have a 10 month old and he isn't much of a bark. When he barks it's usually when he is playing with his doggie friends. Part of me is glad he isn't much of a barker.

Kori is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LindaMayRee View Post
    Kinda like people I guess. I know some people who are always yapping and others who yap very little.
    LOL.

Neither Joe or Java bark much, if something startles them they do but stop when told too.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

Mardi is a 2 year old rescue and I know little about her past. I believe her occasional bark is reasonable. yesterday as we were sitting on the back steps, a delivery man came around the corner of the house. I had heard absolutely nothing as he drove up and parked out of site. Mardi gave a woof at the same time I caught the man in my peripheral vision. She charged up to the man and jumped up on him because she had already decided he was nice, and he was. She barks with happy yips or very gentle woofs when she sees another dog. I have had for for about 10 weeks and I have never considered her barking to be inappropriate, except when she yips with separation anxiety. I have never had a senselessly yappy dog and probably wouldn't have kept one because I am not about to make my neighbors furious. I had a pack of 4 Siberian huskies for about 12 years and none of them were barkers. Sibes tend to be very quiet and I was very happy that they did no mindless, continuous barking. Mardi's very occasional bark--except for separation anxiety--seems acceptable. Now, on the other hand, the German Shepard across the street-----------

Nancy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast