City/Suburb dwellers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City/Suburb dwellers

Nikki is offline Senior Member

DefaultCity/Suburb dwellers

How do you deal with the poo? I try and do yard detail daily. In the bucket it goes, then in the bag and out with the garbage once a week.

I would really like a system where I scoop it right in to a garbage bag but do to that, I would need a lid and come summer, I am afraid the heat.. well... peeew!

Looking for other ideas.

TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

We have a poop can next to the pen. It's a galvanized garbage can with a lid, a little over knee high. I line it with either 2 regular garbage bags, or 1 contractors bag. In the summer I put some lime in it to help keep the smell down (you only smell it when you lift the lid).

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I have a separate can that I line with a heavy duty garbage bag. I scoop my yard EVERY time my dogs go out. I bag each scoop individually and deposit into the can. On garbage day I lift the liner out, tie it up, and put in the regular can.
    Oh and the poop can is sitting near the back of my yard in the shade. It is the only way to keep the smell down. If it is really hot, I sprinkle a box of baking soda into the can a couple of times a week. I tried cat litter, but that really didn't help with the smell.

ETA: I don't put the lid all the way on. If air gets in there it seems to smell less than when the lid is on tight.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    We have a poop can next to the pen. It's a galvanized garbage can with a lid, a little over knee high. I line it with either 2 regular garbage bags, or 1 contractors bag. In the summer I put some lime in it to help keep the smell down (you only smell it when you lift the lid).
    Ditto.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I scoop it up every poop with a deoderizing poop bag and put it in a deoderizing trash bag in a small lidded trash can. Then it goes out with garbage pick up once a week. It becomes pretty routine after awhile.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Technically, we are not suppose to put animal waste into the trash bin, although many people do. I pay a company to pick up my dog's waste once a week. They provide a sanitized bucket and I fill it up. Since they don't allow poop bags in the bucket, I have found the easiest way to pick up is to use latex gloves - the industrial kind. Once done, I throw the gloves in the regular trash bin. It's quite a good service and I can also put kitty litter in it.

Nikki is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the ideas!

Oh, how I miss the country!

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

I have a small plastic garbage can with a tight lid. I most always know and see when a poop has been committed and I bag it right away and put it in the plastic can (with a bag liner of course) It gets emptied into the larger garbage once a week. Does get gamey in the summer but once the lid goes back on the odour is contained.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    Thanks for the ideas!

I live in the country but still pick up dog poop every day!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 04-25-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    Thanks for the ideas!

I'm in the country and do a pick-up once a week, the day before trash day. I have a 5-gallon bucket that I double-line with plastic grocery bags. When done, I tie off the inside bag, then tie off the out bag, and both are placed in the big garbage bin - which then goes directly out to the road.

I tried doing a daily pick up, but I live in a duplex and there was no place I could put the bucket (except inside the house) where my neighbor could not smell it. When it's warm she always has all the windows open and they should not have to smell poop. If I leave it in the yard, she doesn't smell it.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast