Morning problems with hips

Thread: Morning problems with hips

Jade65 is offline Member

DefaultMorning problems with hips

Hi have not been here for a while...my precious lab Mercedes is now almost 9 and is having arthritis problems a lot of stiffness when she gets up after lying down for awhile. ESP in the am.i give her a low dose aspirin and it does help.. But do not want to give this on a constant basis...do not want to give her the high power Meds with bad side effects plus she has a very sensitive stomach...has anyone heard of a product called Platium performance that is supposed to help this. It is expensive I hear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

There are many anti inflamitory options and glucosamine/MSM you may discuss with her vet. But don't forget that it is very important to keep her joints moving. Take her for a slow constant walk (no stopping to sniff) every day and maybe a swim in the summer. Or get her to retrieve if she likes that.
    Judy (11) sometimes limps when she gets up from sleep or rest, but she loves her walks even though her pace has slowed down. I believe that keeps her going; she likes to run and play with the pup chase squirrels, etc.
    ( Be sure you give her enteric coated aspirin or buffered aspirin.)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jade65 View Post
    Hi have not been here for a while...my precious lab Mercedes is now almost 9 and is having arthritis problems a lot of stiffness when she gets up after lying down for awhile. ESP in the am.i give her a low dose aspirin and it does help.. But do not want to give this on a constant basis...do not want to give her the high power Meds with bad side effects plus she has a very sensitive stomach...has anyone heard of a product called Platium performance that is supposed to help this. It is expensive I hear.
    You may do fine with just adding in a supplement for joint support (which is what that Platinum product is). My older dog was starting to show a little stiffness on standing so I started using this product after getting a sample when I was at a dog show. Joint Aid 4 Dogs 2 lbs (32 oz) (Formerly Joint Oats) by Grizzly Pet Products

I actually have both of mine on it.

He has tolerated it well and he is significantly more spry. The bonus is that it is a granular product you can just sprinkle on their meals.

If your dog is experiencing more pain and joint support is not enough, you should get a vet's advice. I would not give aspirin to a dog on a long term basis.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jade65 is offline Member

Hi mitziandjudysmom....nice to hear from you. We are from the while ago times on this forums and iam from northeast Ohio too.......oh yes slow walks for both of us..iam almost 70 with a bad knee....we are both growing old together and iam so blessed to have her in my life. Only coated aspirin and only as needed.