super attached Adopted 3 Year old yellow Lab Female why?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: super attached Adopted 3 Year old yellow Lab Female why?

Colorado_Comet is offline Junior Member

Questionsuper attached Adopted 3 Year old yellow Lab Female why?

I have just received a 3 year old lab where she wasn't ever paid attention to. her old owners would just keep her outside all day long threw the cold weather and heat, She used to jump on people and bark a lot. but now that i have taken her she is very calm, never leaves my side. Is this normal for this type of bread? she always wants to where i am all the time. but when i leave her with someone else she will walk around by herself and act normal. so why is she so attached to me when no one else she seems to care about. even the old owners where shocked on how she acts. now they want her back because of the way she acts so what do i do better then the old owners? So if you could help me out i would really be greatful!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

It is very normal for a Lab to always stay by their owner's side. PLease do not give her back to her previous owners who neglected her. Thank you for saving her and making her feel secure with a new forever home. They ask so little from us and give so much.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Labs are very people oriented and true velcro dogs. Obviously she feels comfortable with you in her new home. I pray you go NOT return this precious dog to her previous owners if indeed they did not take care of her properly. And it sounds as if they drfinitely did not. She obviously loves you and needs you. This is typical Lab behavior and if the other owners did not know or recognize this for what she was and for what she needed they don't deserve her. Thank you for saving this baby and I hope you have many happy years together.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Dogs aren't stupid. They know where they're better off. You're obviously treating her far better than her previous life & she is rewarding you with love & that fierce loyalty that Labs are famous for.

Both of my 2 are rescues. Both are velcroe dogs. If they're not constantly at my feet or on top of me, they're glued to each other. Why? Because they know they're living the good life compared to their previous lives.

And PLEASE don't think about giving her back to her old owners & ruin her life. Do you seriously believe they'll treat her any better? I think not. Make sure she is registered in your name. If she's microchipped, make sure the details are registered to you too. If she's not microchipped, get her done ASAP. I hope they don't know where you live. If they do, I'd keep her behind locked gates. I'd hate to think they'd try & "repossess" her.
    Last edited by Garth; 04-20-2013 at 08:02 AM.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Agreed with what's been said, especially dogs are stupid in this respect. All my dogs wanted to be where I am. Ranger is particularly a velcro dog. He always keeps his eye on me. Loves to sit next to me, etc.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Tanya is offline Senior Member

normal for a lab to want to be with you at all times - but VERY normal for a dog that has not gotten any attention for three years to be STARVED for it and when they find someone who is nice and loves them they can absolutely latch on for dear life. But it sounds like she is not dependant on you either, which is good (you said she is ok with other people and when you leave).

Thank you for saving this girl and showing her love and a warm home. work on training and building her confidence. she is behind in learning manners, but with patience and your guidance on what is appropriate and what is not, she will learn.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

citronella is offline Senior Member

I agee with what has been said. I can't get up without all 3 of mine following me. You definately wouldn't want to give her back after all your hard work and her starting to trust someone. She won't be the same way with the previous owners
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your dog likes you. Simple. Please don't return her to the jackholes who isolated her in the yard.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Colorado_Comet is offline Junior Member

Thumbs upThanks So Much for the insight!

I have always owned dogs but never a lab. and never this old really i always have them when they are pups! This lab walks around with me even with out a leash, she won't go more then a couple feet from me and she obeys really well. if i tell her to sit she will sit, if i tell her to heal she heals with no problem. the family that had her before had lots of kids but like i said they never paid attention to her, and now if i more she moves, if i go just a small step she is ready to move with me, my family was like wow she really is attached to you. i just smile and know that this dog is going to be a friend for life!

And yes i am changing her papers and everything to my name she is AKC Registered and has all shots and vac's. it is just weird on how when i brought her home she hasn't done one thing that i seen when she was at her old home. i am glad i have her she and i will both live long lifes.

the one thing i wished they would have done atleast was teach her how to play a little. she doesn't like balls toys or any play thing, i wrestle with her
    once in a while and she pushes back sometimes but she isn't really in to anything like that. So i hope that when summer comes she will Enjoy the water like her bread is suppose to!

Thanks again everyone for your info and glad i have found this board!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It can take a long time for a dog who was not played with for years to understand it and be comfortable with it. Leaving a social animal alone in a yard without any interaction is abusive, in my opinion and you can't expect a victim of abuse to just turn the page and be different immediately. It will take time.

And - I would not wrestle with her at this point as it may be a real stressor for her. Take is slow, build your bond with her. Pet her, brush her. If she can spend some time with a well socialized adult dog who likes to play that may help her to learn to enjoy it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast