what age for putting out for a bit during a nice day

Thread: what age for putting out for a bit during a nice day

martymonty is offline Member

Defaultwhat age for putting out for a bit during a nice day

Hi
    We have a 4 year old lab, she is outdoors during a nice day in a very nice dog run (insulated house, water available, etc) Just wondering at what age I could put the new puppy out
    with her for a little bit. This little guy is chomping at the bit to get out and stay outdoors, but during the day I work out of our home so I can only get him out for little spurts.
    He will have his second shots tomorrow so not sure if I could put him out for 20 or so min. and start getting him used to this area of our home. Suggestions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Would he be tied up to a dog run or in a fenced area? I have a fenced (4') yard, but am always with them. I would be afraid the pup could escape. Maybe I'm over-protective, but when Judy was a pup, I had her in a secure harness attached to the seat belt in the car. When I opened the car door in a busy parking lot, she somehow backed out of the harness in an instant and took off across the parking lot which was on a busy street. I nearly had a heart attack, but some people caught her and held her for me. Since then, I never underestimate their ability to escape when motivated.

Silktap is offline Member

Shots are important...having him outside unattended is a no no in my book without sets of shots especially if there is a chance of a strange dog or strange feces or puddles where animals like raccoon, possums or mice, etc. could have urinated or defecated being around or near the puppy. Puppies are very curious by nature add to it..that the puppy is Labrador and you have a very very curious little one that just loves to put everything in their mouth! Being monitored at this age is top priority..and trust me..when he can be out there with his big brother/mentor he will adore it and be very happy and get acclimated quite quickly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd never leave a small puppy outdoors unsupervised. If you have some sort of secure kennel enclosure with a solid surface floor (cement/asphalt) it might be OK - but if there is grass he can dig out and if there is a gravel surface, you run the risk of him eating the pebbles and winding up with a blockage. With a puppy, you need to imagine the worst case scenario - because that is what might very well happen.

The enclosure has to be completely puppy proof. He will chew on whatever is available in the kennel to chew, too - so if the dog house is wood - he'll eat it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I'd never leave a small puppy outdoors unsupervised. If you have some sort of secure kennel enclosure with a solid surface floor (cement/asphalt) it might be OK - but if there is grass he can dig out and if there is a gravel surface, you run the risk of him eating the pebbles and winding up with a blockage. With a puppy, you need to imagine the worst case scenario - because that is what might very well happen.

The enclosure has to be completely puppy proof. He will chew on whatever is available in the kennel to chew, too - so if the dog house is wood - he'll eat it.
    x100. puppies are notorious for getting into trouble and chewing things - so only if you have one really great, safe pen. I would start with short periods when you are home to see how he does.

I would also be concerned about the two of them together for extended periods of times, especially if the pup can be a pest.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Not only is it not safe to leave a puppy unsupervised for any amount of time (unless crated), it also is not safe to leave a puppy with an older dog unless you are watching them both every minute. If you can't be there to supervise, keep the puppy inside or crated.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy