The tumor they removed from Willy a few weeks ago, came back malignant. He has adenocarcinoma. He recovered from the surgery pretty nicely, but still acts a little off. He goes in tomorrow for xrays and/or ultra sound to see how far the cancer has spread. Prognosis is 12 to 16 months. If it hasn't spread yet, we can opt for chemo and that will raise his life expectancy to 18 months.
My husband and I have decided not to do the chemo. If he was only 5 or if it would get him a couple more years, it might be different, but I can't see putting him through that for maybe only a couple months. He already doesn't like going to the vets and I think if I have to take him there once a week and leave him (for the chemo treatments) and he will probably get sick from them, it would just upset him more. He wouldn't understand. I think it's kinder to him to give him the best of love and care until the time comes.
Depending on what the xrays show, I am going to take a more holistic approach to treating the cancer. I've already bought vitamins for him to boost his immune system. Not sure they will help, but can't hurt.
He will certainly be getting a lot of extra snuggles.
Willy's appointment this morning turned out to be a happy one! The xrays and ultra sound showed nothing. That means the cancer has not started to spread into his lymph nodes or lungs or other organs yet. This means he will probably be on the high end of the 12 to 16 months scale or maybe even longer than that. I am so happy. She said he looks great and looks happy too! The surgery healed nicely and they got the whole tumor. Thank you for all the good thoughts and prayers for my snuggle buddy! He will get extra treats today!
Last edited by joflake; 04-16-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Oh snap So sorry to hear this news but Willy is one loved pup and you will do what's best for him and he knows that. (((hugs)))
Lots of prayers for Willy, I can understand your decision not to put him through chemo.
I'm so sorry the news isn't more promising, Jodie. I like your plan of a holistic approach for now. Hug that boy for me, won't you?
Seamus and Flynn
I'm so sorry to hear this. Good thoughts on the way.
Sorry to read this.. Good thoughts and prayers on their way!
The right decision IMO !
Sorry Jodie !
I'm so sorry. I do agree with your decision and plan. Better to have quality time with him than make him miserable for a minimal increase in that time. I hope alternative treatment works well for him and his time is extended well beyond the vets expectations.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.