Puppies under foot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppies under foot

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppies under foot

She follows me everywhere and sometimes it's with great excitement. Usually I'll turn around or move and just kind of graze her with my foot or give her a tap and she'll back up. This is not on purpose, it's because I don't know she's there. This morning was bad. As usual she acted like she hadn't seen me in a month even though I had just taken her out of the kennel to use the bathroom 2 hours earlier. My son's friend knocked on the door so I was back and forth and the awful thing happened, I stepped on her. It wasn't my whole foot, just the first 1/3 which is where the least amount of pressure would be and it was her front paw. She yelped and held her paw close for a minute, then yelped some more. I yelled "Ivy no" as a gut reaction of being scared. I felt around her paw and there was no more crying and she walked on it fine, so I'm pretty sure she'll be ok. I laid her in her kennel so she can stay off it for a while.

I feel horrible of course, but mostly I really want to find a way to make her stop doing this. If she continues to be my 2nd butt she's going to get stepped on again. She's 11 wks old and 17lbs, so she's getting sturdy but she's not substantial enough to take another beating by me
    Anyone have good advice or dealt with this before? My other lab followed me everywhere but not so close that I stepped on or kicked her.

ETA: She spends most of her time out of the kennel. I had laid back down and let her be with the boys this morning. She is usually just laying in my arms after being let out of the kennel. So her excitement isn't from being free. And she only does it with me, not the other kids. She'll greet them happily after school but with me it's any length of time I've been out of her sight. Even being gone for a shower is enough time away for her to act crazy.
    Last edited by Destinfam5; 04-14-2013 at 12:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

This is life with a puppy. You'll need to start being aware of her presence around you. If you can't watch her, put her in her crate until such time you can.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

it happens. They will get out of your way in time. But yes, just try to be aware of where she is at all times and there should be fewer step ons.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Cam and Gabrielle are right. And just wait until your puppy is at knee height! When they are black they are totally invisible! I've had my share of spills from not seeing one of mine at that height. They can send you lurching headlong onto the kitchen floor. You learn to have different levels of visual acuity, especially your peripherals.

Seamus and Flynn

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Agree with the others, life with puppy. Diesel was like that too, always curious what I was doing, I just made it a habit to look down before I turned or backed up to avoid stepping on him. When that courtesy & my patience wore out I taught him to "move." I love this command, it comes in handy. One word and he is out of my way, "no" is overused and too broad for them to understand what you want. If I carry an arm load of stuff so high (like laundry) I can't see if he's in front of me, I yell "move" just in case and sure enough he goes scurrying to the side of me to get out of my way. Back from a walk & I open the lobby door to our building that swings towards us, "move" he steps aside to avoid getting hit with the door or making me open it super slow to avoid hitting him.

Also works when playing couch commando. He always sits in my spot, if I come to the couch with my hands full so I can't do the point and snap fingers to move him, "move" and he pops out of my spot and over to his

Rox - "Move" is the one and only command Scamp (my Lhasa) "gets". Well, wait. "Move" and "Let's get dressed!" He loves "let's get dressed" because he knows that's our special, private time in the bedroom.

Seamus and Flynn

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    Rox - "Move" is the one and only command Scamp (my Lhasa) "gets". Well, wait. "Move" and "Let's get dressed!" He loves "let's get dressed" because he knows that's our special, private time in the bedroom.
    Omg Nance, that is just too sweet!! I love how you have special individual moments and memories with all of your dogs.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with the above, thus is life with a puppy. or adult dog. I can't tell you how often I trip in the kitchen because a dog decided to lay down behind me as I stayed still to do something (ex: cut veggy's) and I didn't notice!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Yup, MOVE (or "get the f-u-c-k out of my way") is essential. The pup will learn to give you enough room, or get stepped on (or pushed with your feet). Even with five Labs, mine stay pretty much out of my way, even when I do sudden about turns.

I take advantage of opportunities when they are milling and "could" get stepped on or send me flat on my ass, to STOMP, wave my arms and sound angry "MOVE!!!" etc.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Yup, MOVE (or "get the f-u-c-k out of my way") is essential. The pup will learn to give you enough room, or get stepped on (or pushed with your feet). Even with five Labs, mine stay pretty much out of my way, even when I do sudden about turns.

I take advantage of opportunities when they are milling and "could" get stepped on or send me flat on my ass, to STOMP, wave my arms and sound angry "MOVE!!!" etc.
    Um... maybe my guys just speak a different language. "Out of the kitchen, now!" works well. Maybe that's just our house, but it works. We're kind of a quiet house, I guess.

Seamus and Flynn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast