Puppies under foot - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppies under foot

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Mine is also a quiet house. It is also a very small house, so it is easy for the pups to be in the way through no fault of their own. The boys know, 'out of the kitchen', 'move', 'go to your spot'. If I have to resort to shouting, it's my problem and not the dogs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Todd has gotten stepped on a few times too. He overcomes quickly. He is actually my first dog ever with a tail. The tail really took some getting used to. I've just learned to adjust and now always assume he is going to be in my way. Right now he is sleeping right under my desk chair at work, so I have to be careful not to roll on his ear or a tail. I do use the "move" word, especially on the steps. I've torn my rotator cuff falling down the stairs when my boxer tripped me up. So, I tell him to move at the top and he goes all the way down without me. He seems to be getting more independent lately though. I have to admit, I love it when he is always around me though.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

joflake is offline Senior Member

The first experience I had in obedience training with my friends pup, was putting them on a long lead, folding your hands to your chest, and just walking, turning, ignoring them, they had no choice but to follow you. You don't talk to them, You just walk and change direction. If they're in the way, you just keep walking. They learn pretty quickly to pay attention to you and where you are going, and they learn that if they don't move, they'll get stepped on.

I used this with Libby, it worked wonderfully, but I refused to step on her, I'd kind of nudged her with my foot. It really did teach her to pay attention to me and what I was doing, that and hooking her to my belt as I went around the house.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

She knows she's your dog. It won't be long before she's big enough that you will have to walk around her. She will still be right there but easier to see.
    I fell a few times while walking Tony; he suddenly stepped right in front of me. Now I have to keep my eyes on him instead of straight ahead.

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    She knows she's your dog. It won't be long before she's big enough that you will have to walk around her. She will still be right there but easier to see.
    I fell a few times while walking Tony; he suddenly stepped right in front of me. Now I have to keep my eyes on him instead of straight ahead.
    I think you're right about her knowing she's mine. If only she'd be mine about 2 ft away, lol.

The leash trick sounds like it just might work. She follows me anyway and this will prevent her from finding the things the children have left behind for her to destroy. The 2 oldest recently had something important to them destroyed and are now making it a point to put things away.

To the poster who made me laugh with the GTFO comment, my house is loud all the time. I have 3 children so the past 12 1/2 years have been pretty loud around here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12