Toe Nail Issue

Thread: Toe Nail Issue

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultToe Nail Issue

I noticed late last week that Lexi was licking her one back paw. I thought she'd stepped on something or had a cut, but after much searching I found nothing. No cuts, scraps, scabs... so I just left it alone.

The licking has continued to the point it is annoying. I finally figured out what the issue is today. One of her back toe nails, the hard upper part of the nail is peeling away from the softer underside. I guess she caught it one something & peeled it back some.

So my question, do I do anything about it or simply leave it be to heal on its own. It is not affecting her ability to walk.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I don't know, but I would worry that it would continue to separate especially if she keeps licking. I would take her to the vet. I can't remember exactly what it was with Judy a long time ago. Don't remember if it was split or what, but she was licking. The vet cut the nail and she was better in no time.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I would trim it myself. Depending on how it os peeled, human nail trimmers can get closer to the bed of the nail.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Aila had the same problem and it was happening on all of her nails -- the outer layer lifts / separates from the soft underside part of the nail. It is a type of disorder / syndrome, and the vet did tell me what it's called, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. However, she did say that fish oil would help and so we started Aila on pure wild alaskan salmon oil capsules every day and within a month or so, her nails were normal. We continue to give her salmon oil pills everyday, along with a flaxseed oil capsule for dandruff.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Wrap the foot with some vet-wrap for a few days.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I am having the same problem right now and the vet put Munchie on antibiotics (amoxicillin) to prevent an infection.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I called my vet's office today, because I am concerned about this. Other than her licking it on & off, it does not seem to be bothering her, she still walks & runs fine.

I do not want to risk it getting pulled off or something getting up under that would cause an infection. We have an appointment at 4:40 this afternoon. This should be interesting, as she really dislikes anyone (even me) messing with her feet. Something as simple as a nail trim is problematic, they have to do it in the exam room with me there. Otherwise she completely freaks out.

I'm going to give her a dose of benadryl about 90 minutes before we go & I will ask them to put a muzzle on her. That way I will not have to worry about her getting really ticked off & trying to nip me, one of the techs or the vet.

My pretty girl, Lexi!