Fertilizing the lawn

Thread: Fertilizing the lawn

cillovely is offline Senior Member

DefaultFertilizing the lawn

Hi there,

My husband is itching to fertilize our lawn and given that it's supposed to rain like crazy here tomorrow, tonight is the night he's going to do it. My question to you guys since I'm a new puppy mommie is will this hurt Siren. He loves to pull and sometimes chew on the grass. Plus if it gets on his paws I'm sure he'll be licking it off.

I can take him to an alternative area to go do his business where there won't be any fertilizer, but will it be safe to go back to the lawn after the rains come tomorrow? The area I would be taking him to is ok, but it's not as fun for a puppy as the yard is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Check the package of fertilizer, it should give the precautions about letting pets on the lawn area. I think most fertilizers caution about letting pets and children on for 24 hours. Even if it rains, I would take your pet to the alternate area for at least a day. I gave up on a nice lawn years ago. Now, my yards and pasture is just weeds that get mowed. Looks green but there is little actual grass.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I never use fertalizer on the lawn. Just add grass seed where needed and keep it mowed. My neighbor has a great looking lawn since they use fertalizer and weed killer, but my lawn looks much better with four healthy dogs playing on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Fertilizing lawns? I thought that's what the dogs were for?

As for your question I would not let the little one roam around on fertilized parts at all for a while.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

The people who used to cut the grass for my landlord fertilized it once, back when I still had Shadow. She always rolled around on the grass in one area, and this time was no different. When she came in, I brushed her coat off with my hands like I always did. I must have touched my face and neck after that because I broke out in hives about an hour later, the only time in my life I've ever had them. My forearms, neck, and face were swollen, bight red, and itched like mad. Shadow was licking her paws and she was sick that night, throwing up and then had dry heaves.

I'd check the packaging first, to make sure it's not dangerous to animals, and then I'd keep the pup off it at least 24 hours. If you don't get a good, soaking rain, then go out and water it in well wherever the pup is going to be, just to be safe.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Thanks, the main area that hubby is anxious to fertilize is some sod that was put down in between our house and next door, which is my mother and sister in laws house that they had re-built. The lawn got beat up during the process and the builder put that down to make it look nice. It's done ok thru the winter, but looked a little ragged once the snow was gone.

The rest of the yard, well we (collectively us and mother/sister in law) had some trees taken down the past two days and I guess with the yard being wet (we have a brook in the back yard so it's always a bit wet) and thier trucks coming in today to clear out some of the big logs, they tore it all apart. So no worries there for fertilizer. It will be the grass seed route once they get it leved off and some fresh dirt.

Ugh! Fresh dirt and YELLOW lab do not mix well. Siren will think so but I can see him a muddy mess before long.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I forgot to add...

I used to band geese on golf courses for nearly 20 years. Talk about intensive fertilization and lawn management! Inevitably, the young geese of the year had BLEACHED feet from walking on the intensively managed grass areas. These golf courses were even very green oriented, so probably did not have the most intensive chemicals on it. So, their feet which were supposed to be black, were pink. Keep your pup away!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)