Keeping Mardi out of the cats' litter box.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Mardi out of the cats' litter box.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultKeeping Mardi out of the cats' litter box.

After living here for 2 months Mardi has decided to raid the litter box. I live alone in a double wide with two bathrooms so I have always kept the litter box inside the tub in the unused bathroom. I arranged the sliding shower doors so they were almost closed because both cats fling litter. The opening allowed the cats in and Mardi didn't realize until yesterday how to open the door wider. I can't find a way to keep the bathroom door open only a crack and Mardi just shoves her way into the bathroom. Anyway, she is so skinny she is barely thicker than the cats. The doors in my house are flimsy composite junk and I don't think a cat door can be installed into such a flimsy bathroom door--even if I could find someone to do the installation. If I used a covered litter box Mardi would still be able to jump into the tub and reach into the box. Any suggestions?

Nancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

citronella is offline Senior Member

We have the litter box in the basement and have a child safety gate across the door. The cat jumps over it or we put it high enough in the doorway so that it can squeeze underneath. The beagles were notorious in cleaning the litter box daily it for us. Tilly still goes down to see if she get in.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

A covered litter box might solve the problem, especially if you place it facing an end of the tub with just enough room infront of it for the cats to get into it. Or, try "locking" the shower doors the same way you would a sliding patio door- place a piece of wood in the track so it can only be opened so far. That stopped the iguana from opening the sliding doors on the terrium he was housed in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have my litter box in the laundry room with a gate that has a small opening in the middle, bottom of the gate. Kitties have access but Maxx, who also enjoys litter box snacks, does not! Works perfect, no construction or worries. The gate also has a door that humans can open so you don't have to climb over the gate. Maxx has watched us open this door for a year and a half in hopes of figuring out how to do it, it makes me laugh to see the concentration on his face.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Or, try "locking" the shower doors the same way you would a sliding patio door- place a piece of wood in the track so it can only be opened so far.
    That's what I was thinking, too.
    (The iguana ?!? )

Seamus and Flynn

cillovely is offline Senior Member

We have our litter boxes in the basement and put a pet door flap in the basement door (small). We did this more for when our son was small and we had to keep that door closed so he wouldn't fall down the stairs, but it has worked great. My cats learned very quickly how to get in and out and our pup has yet to even notice it. And thankfully he's already too big to fit thru.

I'm going to get one of those gates with the pet door for the cat's eating area. Siren seems to love cat food, especially Friskies indoor cat formula! It's even tougher becuase I do give my neighbors cat a "snack" on our deck when he comes around and Siren can find every little bit that has fallen in between the cracks of the decking.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I use a child safety gate in the door to keep the boys out. The cat jumps over it easily. the gate is less than 3 feet tall.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

I have decided I need a pet gate with a cat door but my door frame is only 24 inches wide and I haven't found many choices. I wonder if I taped up a heavy piece of cardboard if that would fool Mardi into believing she couldn't get past it.
    Nancy

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

You can try one of those spring loaded curtain rods in the door way. That's what I used to keep Caleb downstairs when he was younger (we still use it to keep him in or out of a room).

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Get an old wooden style baby gate and cut a hole big enough for the cat and block the door that way? That works for us when Sam stays here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast