Poor pup has diahhrea pretty bad
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor pup has diahhrea pretty bad

martymonty is offline Member

DefaultPoor pup has diahhrea pretty bad

Our poor little guy has had diahhrea since yesterday late afternoon. He has nothing but watered poop coming out now and has probably went over 12 times since
    yesterday. I did increase his food in the AM and PM a tiny bit, not sure if that would cause this or not. I am not sure if I should feed him this morning, or if there is anything I can give to him to help him out. He's 10 weeks old today. What do you owners do when this happens and should I be very concerned or is this just something that should pass. I'm worried about him. He has been dewormed 3 times by the breeder we purchased him from so not thinking it's worms but not sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

serenitydad is offline Member

My nine week old was just diagnosed with giardiasis. Researching it, I found that 30 percent of puppies have it. Your vet should ask for a stool sample. If you haven't had your pup to the vet yet, I suggest calling today. He's likely due for another round of shots anyway.
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by martymonty View Post
    Our poor little guy has had diahhrea since yesterday late afternoon. He has nothing but watered poop coming out now and has probably went over 12 times since
    yesterday. I did increase his food in the AM and PM a tiny bit, not sure if that would cause this or not. I am not sure if I should feed him this morning, or if there is anything I can give to him to help him out. He's 10 weeks old today. What do you owners do when this happens and should I be very concerned or is this just something that should pass. I'm worried about him. He has been dewormed 3 times by the breeder we purchased him from so not thinking it's worms but not sure.
    Vet visit required. You don't fool around with diarrhea in a small puppy. He is probably dehydrated at this point.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Giardia has a very distinctive smell...and it's not usually runny and watery-it's more mucousy.
    Yes, the increase in food could cause diarrhea.
    I give a tablespoon of pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin-not pumpkin pie filling) here for diarrhea.
    BUT-in the case of a 10 week old pup, I agree a vet visit is probably in order at this point-puppies dehydrate very, very quickly.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

When Jaxx was having his issues, my vet told me anything over 12 hours would require a vet visit so long as he was continuing to drink. If he stopped drinking them bring him in ASAP.

Since it's been going on for awhile, I would probably take him to the vet. I hope he feels better soon!

As a side note, Jaxx got diarrhea when I increased his food slightly. He was still on what the breeder gave us. The vet recommended switching to a better quality food, I got some recommendations from here and with his new food Jaxx hasn't had any diarrhea. (Doesn't necessarily mean it WAS the food I guess, I just wanted to mention that)

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

Just wanted to comment on getting shots while sick - you don't want to do that. If you go to the vet today, it's just for the illness. If he is due for shots, unless your vet is a dunderhead, he would not give them while the puppy is ill. And you should not allow it either.

As a matter of fact, you don't want to do vax with an ill adult dog either.

martymonty is offline Member

Got pup into the vets later this afternoon, forgot to ask if it's ok to feed him a bit of something or if I should just offer liquids. What do you do with your little ones when they have
    bouts like this

I'd offer him some rice. No kibble for now.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Got pup into the vets later this afternoon
    Well that's good, what did he say about the diarhhea? As far as feeding, I would call the vet back and ask them.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Make sure he has access to water, try giving him a little bit of his food if he wants it, add some plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!) or plain white rice.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast