New house, new dog problems develop.....

Thread: New house, new dog problems develop.....

lovin4dml is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew house, new dog problems develop.....

We moved last year and ended up doing some unplanned reno's. Now one of our two lovely friends is digging holes in the backyard, deep enough to sprain your ankle. Too bad I can't figure out who is the guilty one. We are surrounded on all sides by dogs, they are not trying to dig under the fence just in random places around the yard. Trying to mend the garden that the previous dogs destroyed. The dogs are now obsessed with running in this dirt area along a side fence....any kind of ground cover or mulch that might stop this habit so I can have flowers here instead of mud? I heard pine cones but Jack seems to think everything is for him to chew and run around with, including his newest find....bricks!

Oy Jack and Molly so much fun and kisses! But not so fun when my yellow labs come in from the yard as black labs! lol

Jack 8/2010
    Molly 11/2011

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

No advice, I am fortunate to have not have had this issue. They sure are 2 beautiful dogs though!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

cmndrJOE is offline Member

Has it warmed up where you live? I know dogs will dig when it's too warm for them so they can lay on the cooler dirt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

One method I finally had success with is putting some of their poop in the hole they have been digging in. They have not returned to the same place to dig.

As far as running alongside the fence, I'm afraid you're going to have to accept the fact that it's a runway, not a flower garden, and just make it a path they won't tear up too much! Maybe gravel?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Samson is offline Senior Member

I put bark down on the bare soil and where I walk, it is partly paving and partly pea shingle.

I gave up on grass a long time ago, and most of my flowers are now in pots !

Of course, I don't have a large garden and they are more likely to be indoors with me as they get their exercise on our walks rather than leaving them to their own designs !

citronella is offline Senior Member

I have done without flowers in the backyard for awhile now. Tried last year and put a little wire fence around it and they stomp over it as it didn't exist. Sometimes they ignore the pots, other times I find them running around with the sticks or plastic pots.
    We found a large cow water trough that I will be filling with soil and flowers this year; hoping they will ignore this too or it might be too high. Sorry I'm no help.

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    One method I finally had success with is putting some of their poop in the hole they have been digging in. They have not returned to the same place to dig.
    This helped from digging in that spot again for us as well.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

grlzmommy is offline Member

For the hole digging I agree with the poop in the hole method. My neighbors retriever was a bad hole digger and that stopped it. and Hunter had a few holes dug out back and I did that and he has since stopped. We have a runway along the fence too, he runs with another dog. We had mulch there but now we just leave it as a run for him, nothing will stop it as far as i'm concerned, our first lab did the same thing, they run back and forth with our neighbors dog.
    BTW your profile pic is the cutest!
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    Missing you every day Summer
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

lovin4dml is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone! After this wet wet week is up I will try that trick for the holes. I have a dog run along all of my fences, figured I can't do much about that. I was hoping to salvage the 10 foot long garden. Knowing no small fence is going to stop jack from trampling through constantly. Eventually want to plant a food garden. It going to have to be raised with large fencing. Don't want it fertilized....ick! They are quite the pair!

Jack 8/2010
    Molly 11/2011