what to do

Thread: what to do

martymonty is offline Member

Defaultwhat to do

Hi
    So...had our puppy home for almost 2 weeks now and he is doing amazing, only one accident in the house, but he still is not going to the door to go out, we just take him out after he eats and drinks. Takes him forever to poop, the pee seems to be coming along fine.
    Wondering what we should do; for the first 10 days the pup was sleeping from 11 - 7 am. (yes we were lucky) now my husband has to get up at 5 am. for work and the pup has decided he wants up then too. Since he was able to go longer the first week or so, I am wondering if I should be allowing him to get up and take him out, or if I should be telling him to lie down and go back to sleep. I don't want to regress with him and have him start waking up so early in the morning, especially when he was doing so good. Any advice how we can get him where he does not feel the need to get up just because he hears my husband getting up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

He's 10 weeks old. Expecting him to hold from 11PM to 7AM is a bit much, imho, especially if Daddy is up and around. If it were me, I'd potty him at 5AM and tuck him back in the crate if you're not ready for him to start his day. Then get him out again at 7am and go from there.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

If I go to bed at 11, Todd will get up around 5:30 to go out to potty. I take him out and then put him "back to bed" until 7:30. He's 13 weeks and pretty good about it. It took a few tries but he gets it now.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck View Post
    He's 10 weeks old. Expecting him to hold from 11PM to 7AM is a bit much, imho, especially if Daddy is up and around. If it were me, I'd potty him at 5AM and tuck him back in the crate if you're not ready for him to start his day. Then get him out again at 7am and go from there.
    I agree.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

martymonty is offline Member

oh we by no means are expecting him to hold it until 7 am. that's just how long he was going when my husband is on the late shift. whenever he needs out we take him, plus every hour or so. I just wasn't sure if him getting woke up earlier this early shifts of my husbands was going to cause a habit for him.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I agree with letting him out to potty whenever someone gets up, then back to bed until the next person gets up.

Only two weeks is a bit soon to be expecting him to go to the door; he'll 'get it' soon. One way to train him is to hang some bells from the doorknob, down to where he can reach them with his nose. Ring those bells and say "potty" or "out" before you open the door. Then take him out and praise him to the skies every time he potties. Soon he will connect ringing the bells to going out, and will ring them himself when he wants out.

The downside to this is, when the weather is nice and my boys just want to go out to play, it sounds like the North Pole with those dang bells ringing!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

I don't think it will necessarily become a habit for him. On the days that I have to get up at 5am, Kai is up and ready to go out to potty. Or, if she's not up then I will wake her up to potty and put her right back in her crate. On the days that I'm off, she can usually still go until about 7am before she wakes me up to go out

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Our little guy (just over 8 1/2 weeks) goes all night too (thank goodness). I take him out before bed about 10:30 and make sure he poops (he takes forever too it seems). Last night he started to go up the stairs after just peeing. Probably expecting me to wait inside until the urge hit him to poop which I did a few times when he first came home, but I wasn't having it. I told him to come and do potty and he came over to me, sniffed around a bit and then bless his heart gave me a good poop.

Our family schedule is different day to day. Some days one of us is up at 5:30, some days we are not up until 7:00. We just have it as whoever is up first lets him out. And he's good about it and dosen't seem to have any set time. He sleeps like a log so I don't even think he's awake until he hears us moving around. Then he goes back into his long term confinement area and if it's early goes back to bed. If it's later then it's breakfast time.
    Last edited by cillovely; 04-10-2013 at 10:44 AM.