RANT!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RANT!

serenitydad is offline Member

DefaultRANT!

Just came from church where a lady was talking about her new golden retriever. It went like this:

"We got her at a pet store when we found out he was born on the date our old dog died. The problem is that our grandkids keep slipping in the pee. A crate? No, that would never work with this dog, besides, I don't believe in caging a dog. We're thinking about breeding him with our poodle and making some golden-doodles, but we're not going to force the issue. If it happens, it happens..."

I think I may have had an aneurism. Am I becoming a dog snob? Why is it so hard for me to just let people be wrong?
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I know. I finally learned to just give a bland "hmmm..." and then say, "Well, gotta run now!"

Seamus and Flynn

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

It is hard to keep from really telling people how stupid their ideas are sometimes. I have learned to get as far away from them, as quickly as possible after I attempt to explain things to them. The blank stare on their face or the self righteous attitudes really get to me. Sometimes you just can not fix stupid.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

wow. I would have had to bite my tongue so hard it may have been bitten off completely!

she can't train her one dog to not pee in hte house but having a litter - piece of cake!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Exactly - you can't fix stupid. You can offer suggestions, let them know you are available for questions, then pray they don't harm the poor dog.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Wow.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Sedona is offline Senior Member

No, not a dog snob. When we decided to get a purebred lab, I did ALOT of research. I found this forum and learned what goes into breeding healthy labs. I didn't have a clue. I also learned how to find a very good reputable breeder. I found one who had 25+ years experience. We got Sedona and Keegan from him.

IMO when we are educated about breeding dogs it is very difficult not to just smack someone saying stupid things. I agree we can try and enlighten them, but most just look at you like you are crazy. Hopefully that person will come to her senses.

Isn't it great to have a sister

serenitydad is offline Member

What astounds me is that in today's information climate, one would have to go to great lengths to remain ignorant about crate training. Part of the joy of having a new puppy for me was researching breeders, asking questions, reacquainting myself with training techniques and learning new ones. When I got my first Lab 25 years ago I had to rely on year i the only English speaking trainer in town (I was stationed in Berlin). Today I have a world of books, articles, forums, videos and blogs at my fingertips.

Since making the decision to get a puppy this year I have probably picked up, browsed thru, or bought a dozen books on dogs and Labs in particular. Every stinking one made it a point to say that crate training was essential, not that I had to be convinced.

Ok, done venting. I feel better.
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by serenitydad View Post
    What astounds me is that in today's information climate, one would have to go to great lengths to remain ignorant about crate training. Part of the joy of having a new puppy for me was researching breeders, asking questions, reacquainting myself with training techniques and learning new ones. When I got my first Lab 25 years ago I had to rely on year i the only English speaking trainer in town (I was stationed in Berlin). Today I have a world of books, articles, forums, videos and blogs at my fingertips.

Since making the decision to get a puppy this year I have probably picked up, browsed thru, or bought a dozen books on dogs and Labs in particular. Every stinking one made it a point to say that crate training was essential, not that I had to be convinced.

Ok, done venting. I feel better.
    It's an emotional thing. People think of it as cruel. no amount of justification/explanation can change some people's minds when their decision is based on pure emotion. I have met a few like this. Most were lucky and had dogs that were ok more or less out of hte crate but when they end up with a puppy needing crating for their own safety it becomes and internal crisis for them.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

People just refuse to hear what you're saying. All you can do is raise your kids (if you have any) to know the difference and hope the next generation is more educated.

My first dog so needed a crate and I wish I would have had this information when she was a puppy. The pup we have now loves her crate at night but does ok out of it during the day when I am home. What happens when they chew up your house while you're gone? I feel it would be more cruel to punish them and expect them to never do it again when it could have been avoided in a crate. But really, what can you do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast