Question About Chocolates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Chocolates

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion About Chocolates

Moose has a tiny bit of dry flakes in his fur. Nothing I'm concerned about, but when I mentioned it to the vet today he asked me "how often do you bathe him?" I said "never!" he said "You should!" so I said "bathe a LAB? I've never bathed my labs," and then went on to explain that the "new way of thinking" is that chocolate labs are more prone to skin infections than blacks and yellows. Don't get me wrong, he's a great vet and I trust him, but this seems a little daft to me. It sounds like he read a pamphlet from a phamicutical company (or something) and is now telling people it's the "new way of thinking" ... though he didn't tell me to buy any medicated shampoos or anything, just told me to keep him clean (via bath and a gentle dog shampoo).

Should I be bathing my chocolate lab?

My gut tells me no. My gut tells me that any flaky skin he has is because of the MASS amounts of changes he's been through in the last month and taking into consideration the last week (when he started to get the flaky skin) the furnace has been on A LOT because it's been damned cold outside.

My gut also tells me I should be giving him more omegas to help combat the dry skin from the inside out.

Thoughts?

PS. Moose is 13 weeks and 29.3 pounds (13.3kg).
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Seamus has a bit of flaky skin from time to time. It's not terrible, it's hardly noticeable but I notice it. I'm supposed to... I'm the mom. I'd stick to increasing the omegas, too. I've even started giving my guys the occasional poached tilapia for this very reason. NOT bathing.

Seamus and Flynn

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

I don't know about chocolates being prone to more skin conditions - I've never heard of such a thing. Aila, who is a black lab, has a beautiful coat -- everyone always comments on it. However, she has a section on the middle of her back (only this one spot) that is prone to dandruff. It doesn't appear anywhere else, and if you give her a good rub, quite a bit of dandruff appears. I've switched her food to grain-free with no results. I added fish oil pills with no results. I started giving coconut oil with no results. We've bathed her with medicated soap and had no results.

Finally, I started to give her Flaxseed Oil capsules daily about two weeks ago and have started to see results. The dandruff is less prominent - hopefully on it's way out.

Hope you find something that works for Moose.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No. He probably had the rep from the dog shampoo company feed him some marketing nonsense recently.

Chocolate Labs don't have different skin from black or yellow. Both of my dogs (brown and black) have a little flakiness. The brown one is, however, mentally flakier. I don't think they make a shampoo for that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

tkeizer - good tip on the flax seed oil! Thanks for that. I'll try it for Shea.

Seamus and Flynn

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    No. He probably had the rep from the dog shampoo company feed him some marketing nonsense recently.

Chocolate Labs don't have different skin from black or yellow. Both of my dogs (brown and black) have a little flakiness. The brown one is, however, mentally flakier. I don't think they make a shampoo for that.
    Funny you should mention that ... my black is physically flakey, my yellow is mentally flakey. The physical part comes and goes; when Buddy is stressed (like at the vet) he practically throws hair and dander around. When it's cold and the heat is on, he gets flakier. When he's blowing coat, he's also blowing dander. You don't see any on Champ.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post

x100

I think that big picture people (vets) probably see more chocolates with skin issues because people got them from byb's looking at just the colour not overall health and tempermernt of the parents. So it is related to breeding/health of parents and grand paretns not the color of teh fur.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I never bathe the chocolate sisters.
    Ever.
    They have had *maybe* 2 baths in their entire lives....after bouts with giardia.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Sheeesh, I can't imagine bathing a puppy for a bit of dandruff. I agree with YOUR gut and not your Vet. I did bathe my puppy, he was very stinky from a potty accident and we were visiting my Aunt in her nursing home so he had to be clean to greet all those admirers.

However, your Vet is correct that some colours are more prone to skin problems. Those would be the ones with a dilute gene, the charcoals, silvers and champagnes. The dilute gene is linked to skin problems in other breeds too.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Your gut is correct. IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast