The problem with raising your dog your way...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The problem with raising your dog your way...

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

CoolThe problem with raising your dog your way...

... is when you meet that special someone who has different views!!

So I've got myself a no.dog.on.the.furniture kinda guy. Diesel's been my snuggle bug in bed since he was a wee pup. This compromising business was truly heartbreaking for me initially as you could see in his eyes the "but... but... but why mama?! you don't like my snuggles no more?!"

It's taken 6 weeks to break... well, tweak the habit as SO is only here a few nights a week. The first 2 weeks worth no one really slept as it was like the bed was a pinball machine, we were the bumpers and poor Deez was the ball getting bumped off every 2 or 3 hours. Then it graduated to the stare, he wouldn't jump up, but my goodness the stare was brutal. I'd tell him to go to his own bed, and he reluctantly went, hanging his head, did his 4 spin plunk and let out a huge sigh. Throughout Diesel's confusion, and I'm sure missing his cuddles with mama too, I've been bummed out as that is what really brought our bond so close was all the snuggle time.

SO's Lab Bo is fine to sleep on his dog bed all night, he is allowed up on the couch when invited but never the bed. He spends only a few nights a week here, and when we get the house at the end of the month it will be the same as his job takes him on the road a few days a week. I did try to not let him snuggle when it was just me, but who are we kidding?!

Diesel is so smart, he knows when SO is here he cannot get on the bed, but as soon as the alarm goes off in the morning & SO shuts the bathroom door behind him... Diesel leaps from his bed on the floor onto mine & does his 4 spin plunk & settles in to spoon with mama. And so far... we just get laughed at when busted so fingers crossed this is the end of this compromise!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Here's what I say: Your house, your bed, your dog, YOUR RULES! Get back up there with your mama, Deez.

Seamus and Flynn

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Same goes for kids

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    Here's what I say: Your house, your bed, your dog, YOUR RULES! Get back up there with your mama, Deez.
    LOL! I tried that one, Nance. It didn't last long when the retort was "ok... so if this is your place, your rules, will the new house be my house, my rules so no dogs on furniture at all, or do we start the compromise now & it is our house, our rules?" Knowing there will be more compromises to come, I opted to give a little on this one

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Brian doesn't want dogs on the bed.
    I want the girls to sleep with me.
    Our compromise-separate beds.
    He has his bed to himself, the girls and I have our bed to ourselves.

And I don't have to listen to him snore with his Darth Vader C-PAP mask on.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I'd say if your SO is willing to let Diesel up when he leaves the bed for the morning then all is good. I would be heart broken too. Can't you put his bed by your side of the bed and let your arm hang down for bedtime scritches?

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    + 1000 Nance !

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm with Nancy! Just because my soft heart couldn't bear his sad eyes. And it's not really fair to him. He's been allowed since he was a pup, now all of a sudden he can't? He certainly doesn't understand this. But to be fair to your new beau, he gets an opinion too. I just don't know what I'd do. You both have to compromise, I guess.

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Hum, Diesel - SO, Diesel - SO. OMG not the stare, that can melt our skin lol. Our girls sleep in their crates at night, however, when we take naps they sleep on the bed with DH. Because of my severe pain condition, I just go to the other bedroom to rest. I DO miss sleeping with them. When I rest in the morning Keegan sleeps on the bed, sometimes Sedona, but lay on DH's side. Good luck.

Isn't it great to have a sister

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Diesel will get used to it, and accept the new routine. Bauer and I usually go to bed before DH. When it is just Bauer and I in bed, he sleeps right up next to me. When DH comes to bed, Bauer automatically moves to the bottom of the bed below my feet. He usually lasts until DH is asleep, then he moves to the floor. If DH is out of town or sleeps in the recliner (he has a bad back and does this often), Bauer sleeps next to me all night. Diesel will get used to the new rules and routine, and everything will be fine.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast