He's spraying in the house....is he serious?!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He's spraying in the house....is he serious?!!

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

DefaultHe's spraying in the house....is he serious?!!

Jack is 11 months old today. He's been dependable house broke since 3 months. Yesterday he walked over to the entertainment center and lifted his leg...my husband and I both saw him and yelled NO before he peed, but he so much knows better then this. He's just started lifting his leg a bit when he pees, I assumed he was becoming sexually mature. I have had people tell me they won't have male dogs because they "spray" all over the house. I've always had male dogs, some altered, some not, and I have never had one do this. Outside, yes. They spray every bush, car tire, corner of the house....but never inside. What brought this on ~ more important, how to keep it from going on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Just keep correcting !

He just forgot himself - it happens.

patm is offline Senior Member

That would be a scruff grab and shake offense in our house. It is serious,but hopefully easily remedied. He might have just forgot, or even though he'd give it a try and see what happens. Baxter went through a period where he peed on the tires of our cars in the garage - we got after him for it and he stopped. I don't really like my dogs peeing on made made objects, even outside - don't make a big fuss, but don't encourage it either - since we live in a woods, there are plenty of "natural objects" for him to mark.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

He just forgot himself - it happens.
    That's what I thought. How is his relationship with Jill going?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Probably directly related to you adding a second dog. I would just keep reinforcing how much you DON'T want him doing that and be sure you clean the area thoroughly with an odor neutralizer.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Probably directly related to you adding a second dog. I would just keep reinforcing how much you DON'T want him doing that and be sure you clean the area thoroughly with an odor neutralizer.
    This was my 1st thought, Jill may have made him feel he needs to claim his house and let her kniw he is the boss. Keep at him, he will get it as long as you are consistent, patient and firm.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Dani is offline Senior Member

That would get a firm correction at my house. Clean thoroughly and while I advocate thoroughly waiting as long as you can to neuter, if you are unable to control or correct his behavior, you need to neuter him. I've never had a problem with an intact dog marking in the house.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Thinking of it this way might help. Dogs don't generalize, you've heard that, right? The SIT they learned in your kitchen is a different thing in your living room or backyard. Same with pee. He learned which horizontal surfaces are peeable - floors, carpet, deck NO; grass, concrete, ground YES. Now he has to learn which vertical surfaces are peeable. Furniture, people's legs NO; trees, posts, fire hydrants YES. Just as he probably learned the living room for SIT more quickly once he learned it in the kitchen he will likely pick up the vertical surfaces for pee more quickly than he did the horizontal ones.

Just a longer way to say what's been said above but I know for me a bit of rationalization helps, maybe for you too?

You probably will have to watch out for suspect places even after you think he's got it because not everyone is good at teaching their dog and you might find some spots other dogs have peed and your dog will think that means they are OK for him to pee on too. There's one of these in my Vet's office - an outside corner on their counter. Worse, they covered it in barnboard so any pee that was deposited there by a patient is very hard to clean up. They might as well have intentionally put a pee post at that spot. The squatters pee there too, on the floor.

Was your OH thrilled to pieces when he peed like a man? Mine was. Silly boys.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    Thinking of it this way might help. Dogs don't generalize, you've heard that, right? The SIT they learned in your kitchen is a different thing in your living room or backyard. Same with pee. He learned which horizontal surfaces are peeable - floors, carpet, deck NO; grass, concrete, ground YES. Now he has to learn which vertical surfaces are peeable. Furniture, people's legs NO; trees, posts, fire hydrants YES. Just as he probably learned the living room for SIT more quickly once he learned it in the kitchen he will likely pick up the vertical surfaces for pee more quickly than he did the horizontal ones.

Just a longer way to say what's been said above but I know for me a bit of rationalization helps, maybe for you too?

You probably will have to watch out for suspect places even after you think he's got it because not everyone is good at teaching their dog and you might find some spots other dogs have peed and your dog will think that means they are OK for him to pee on too. There's one of these in my Vet's office - an outside corner on their counter. Worse, they covered it in barnboard so any pee that was deposited there by a patient is very hard to clean up. They might as well have intentionally put a pee post at that spot. The squatters pee there too, on the floor.

Was your OH thrilled to pieces when he peed like a man? Mine was. Silly boys.
    ^that^ Also, becoming sexually mature does not have anything to do with him lifting his leg in the house. It's more a combination of the above, and feeling he has to show the new girl that he was there first. Correct and redirect, and it will stop.

Both my boys each tried it once in the house.

Buddy, his first day home, decided he should baptize my bathtub. I'm sure Shadow's scent had something to do with it.

First day Champ was there, he thought it would be a good idea to pee on the china hutch.

Both of them were caught, corrected, and redirected immediately, and it never happened again.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep he'd have a very harsh scruff shake and "NO!" from me also.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast