Settling a bet

Thread: Settling a bet

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

DefaultSettling a bet

A friend of mine has a dog (not a lab) that is constantly barking. She is a big dog and has that big dog bark which after 10 minutes it gets old. Since I live in a 2 family home I cannot have my friend and her dog at my house for a long period of time because she will disrupt everyone within 150ft. I have a 10 month old yellow lab that hardly barks. My friend is insisting that my dog will bark just like hers some day. I keep telling her he just isnt a barker and she doesnt believe me. So the question is... Is is possible to have a dog that doesnt bark to much, or does the barking come as my dog gets older?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

You're right. Friend is wrong. Training is key.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorable View Post
    That's pretty much it in a nutshell!

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Some dogs are not inclined to bark - but they can certainly be influenced by spending time around a very barky dog.

I had a hyper-vigilant dog who barked a whole lot. Then I adopted Diesel at 6 months. He really was not much of a barker at that point and didn't participate a whole lot while Lucy was alive. But - when she died, he then became a very vigilant dog and barked a lot more (thankfully nowhere near the degree of barking and vigilance as Lu).

Blaise is not much of a barker, but when Diesel barks, some of the time Blaise will join in - and always appears to have no clue what he is barking at.

So, my point in this is that while your dog may never on his own be much of a barker - if he is around barky dogs it's an inclination he could certainly develop. It's not inevitable, IMO.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 03-29-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Kori is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorable View Post
    Second that, you win

amazongold is offline Senior Member

You win this one. If your friend's dog was around yours all the times, yours may start to bark a little more, but most likely never to the degree hers does.

Champ is my barker, but he only WOOFS when he hears something outside, and stops quickly. Buddy almost never barks, but he is very vocal in other ways.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Tanya is offline Senior Member

What is the dog barking at? (is he outside? inside? does he ALWAYS bark?)

Not all dogs will bark, it depends on the dog and their natural instinct. But it can be learned to some extent (i.e. some dogs who don't bark much may start barking more if a house-mate barks a lot - or they may not). SO you can't say a dog will absolutely bark (or not bark) when they grow up.

BUT either way, this is a TRAINING issue. There is no excuse for not training a dog to stop barking when you tell them to.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I have one of each. Teddy barks at everything and sometimes at nothing at all. Jefferson very rarely barks. The only time Jefferson barks is when he has to go out and I'm ignoring his signals, or if a raccoon or possum happens into the yard.
    No amount of training has stopped Teddy from barking his head off. He is very verbal all the time.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

I totally get that dogs do bark, and my dog does bark occassionally especially if he is playing, and wants to play with others. He barked at a deer once etc. I am not anti barking but my friends dog will litterally stand in my living room, stare at my friend and bark at her, she does it at her own house as well. There is no apparent reason for the barking and that is what my friend is insisting my dog will start doing as he gets older. I know a lot of dogs and not many of them will just stand in a room, stare at someone and bark for no reason.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mdavis12878 View Post
    I totally get that dogs do bark, and my dog does bark occassionally especially if he is playing, and wants to play with others. He barked at a deer once etc. I am not anti barking but my friends dog will litterally stand in my living room, stare at my friend and bark at her, she does it at her own house as well. There is no apparent reason for the barking and that is what my friend is insisting my dog will start doing as he gets older. I know a lot of dogs and not many of them will just stand in a room, stare at someone and bark for no reason.
    ok that is a training issue. the dog wants their owner's attention. Likely when the dog bark he gets what he wants (even if that is negative attention). When a dog stares at someone and barks there IS a reason. if it is a stranger or someone they do not know/like it can be warning "I don't know you and you are uncomfortable - go away". Or if they LOVE other people it can be "come play with me! please please please come here and pay attention to me!".
    If a dog is barking at their owner/someone they know it generally means they want something. to play, to eat, affection, attention, for the owner to move, etc. etc. etc. but they want something from that person.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky