Is Luna too old for a baby sister?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Luna too old for a baby sister?

lunamus is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs Luna too old for a baby sister?

Long time - no see

Luna will be 10 years old in less than 2 weeks. We've been just us two since I brought her home, when she was 8 weeks old.

The rules where I live have just been changed, so now we are allowed 2 dogs here. I've always wanted 2 dogs, and now I can.

But I'm mostly wondering if Luna will be sad and kinda go lie in a corner and wither (spelling)

I would love your thoughts and inputs. And perhaps experiences?

I might add, that she's still very fresh and can walk long walks. She's never been over-playful, but if the other dog is stubborn enough, she will play.

I'm mostly concerned, if she will be sad, because she will lose some of the current total focus from me.
    Last edited by lunamus; 03-27-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

We brought Aila into our home when Gin was 10 years old. Although, Aila did take up a lot of our attention for awhile, we still made sure that Gin had her special time with us. We also made sure that Gin took on the more dominant role by feeding her first and making Aila wait; we gave Gin treats first; whenever we went anywhere, we took Gin first - Gin was first out the door, in the car, out of the car, etc. Aila learned that Gin was to be respected and she loved Gin - you can tell by my signature pic. So, I don't think Luna is too old to get a sibling, but you just need to make sure that Luna gets her time as well and that the puppy learns boundaries with Luna. Good luck.

serenitydad is offline Member

We're bringing home an eight week old puppy in two days to meet our twelve year old boy Howzer. I have a feeling he's going to love it. Check in with me in a few weeks and I'll let you know how it's going.
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

There's no telling how Luna will act when a new puppy comes into her life. She may be thrilled immediately and find a second puppyhood or she may welcome puppy with a wrinkled nose. I have experienced both. But if Luna is not immediately happy about it, she will be in time. My guess is that it will be good for Luna, and it will be easier for you to teach puppy with Luna as an example.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

If your dog is well socialized (and I woudl test her specifically with a puppy - not all dogs accept puppies) and in good health I don't see why not.

Her life will change with another dog but she can adjust (assuming she is socialized and doesn't hate puppies). It will take some adapting on her part but that's not the end of the world

Just make sure you have time for two dogs (each will need one on one time) and money for two (keeping in mind that some expenses go up with older dogs often and puppies are a big expense between all the shots and spay/neuter plus if yo go with a breeder the cost of hte puppy 1000+ (or adoption fee if you adopt)).

Exercise requirements will be different as well. When the pup is a year old they will need tons of off-leash play while your current dog will be slowing dog a little but there are ways to meet both of those happily
    Last edited by Tanya; 03-27-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm nodding at Tanya's post. Depends upon the 10 year old and the puppy.
    I would not have done it with 10 year old Paddy, I might with Seamus (a big MIGHT).
    Maybe if I just had one 10 year old Lab and no others in the mob? Mmmmm....maybe.

I think you just have to know your dog and your home. You know what I mean.

Seamus and Flynn

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

We got Diesel when Lucy (Dutch Shepherd) was 9. Lucy was not a big fan of other dogs, but she had a few select friends. She not only loved having the puppy, he breathed new life into her.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Deacon was 10 when I brought Diesel home. It took a while for him to warm up to the pup. I made sure that Deke got lots of one on one time with me. They ended up being best buds.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I think it can work and work well if done the right way. Labs are pretty adaptable and I personally wouldn't hesitate with an easy going older Lab. Good luck what ever decision you make
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

lunamus is offline Senior Member

Thank you all for your answers.

I have time (I'm single with no kids) and I'm sure I can deal with the different exercise requirements. I have a good friend, who has a 4 year old lab, and I'm thinking that they can help us with that aswell :-)

I have a friend, who got a pup in the summer 2011 and already same evening, Luna and Maggie (the pup) were playing (biteyface) and sleeping together:

A really lousy mobilephone pic, sorry:

A little video (my friend owns Liva (the yellow labmix) and the pup, Maggie (sorry we're speaking danish, I'm just very surprised to see and hear my dog play that rough)

Boy it was fun watching that clip again

It doesn't look completely impossible, does it? The video, mobile photo and the next picture is all 3 from the first day we met the pup
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast