TPLO Surgery

Thread: TPLO Surgery

Big Ma is offline Junior Member

DefaultTPLO Surgery

Our 6 year old lab had TPLO surgery Monday March 18. It is going to be a long 8 weeks. Had some days with no pooping and not wanting to eat her food. However today she is feeling much better. How do you keep a active dog quiet? Her surgery site looks good some swelling healing good. She is not licking it at all. When we go out to potty she wants to snoop around and takes for ever . Is this ok?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Only 5 minutes snooping on lead - That's what I was told.

better that then expensive return visits.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Tess had it 4 months ago. At first she was too sore to want to snoop around much. For the first couple of weeks it was out to potty and back to the crate. I sat by the crate with her if she wasn't sleeping.

She didn't eat, pee or poop for about 3 days.

I would do as your surgeon says as there are different opinions on when to start snooping more. Your vet and surgeon know your dog. We took it very slowly and Tess is doing well. At 3 weeks I thought she could walk more and went around the house for 5 -10 mins every few hours. She started lifting the leg and vets told me if she starts that it means it is sore and stop.
    They will over do it if we let them.
    Like Colin ( Samson) I would rather be on the safe side and not end up having expensive return visits.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Hello, I hope your lab is doing well after her TPLO. I had a 4 year old boxer that had bi-lateral TPLO (both knees done at same time). She had to stay crated for some time. The kong was my savior. It can be a very nerve racking and scary time...my thoughts are with you. Just listen to what your doctor says, know you are doing the best you can for your pup, and it DOES get better over time. If you have any worries, let me know. One thing to remember is that the pain meds do their job, so your pup may think she can do more than she should. My boxer went up the stairs 3 days after the surgery. My mother was visiting and didn't close the crate door. I thought everything the surgeon did was ruined, I was completely freaked out, but it ended up ok. Everything healed wonderfully. It helps though to ask questions and talk about your worries. This forum is a great place for that. BEST WISHES!

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

Rukus had his knee done last year. It was miserable for him for a few weeks (he's an active dog and hated being on restrictions), but I'd rather have that than have him be running around too soon and have complications.

What kind of medication do they have your dog on? That might be a big reason why her appetite and potty schedule have changed (that and all the meds they have them on during surgery).

Big Ma is offline Junior Member

DefaultUp Date

Beretta is doing much better. We have her on a schedule with her food and potty time. She poops once a day and is eating good (with caned mixed in). She must know that rest is the norm because she stays and sleeps in her expen with out winning and wanting out. We had Easter and no problems. Counting the weeks down.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Short leash, short walk (5 minutes), no stairs, and crate. My parents' dog had TPLO 8? weeks ago. She's doing great.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)