They are driving me crazy!

Thread: They are driving me crazy!

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThey are driving me crazy!

We have 2 labs, Buddy, a 7 year old unneutered yellow male, and Izzy, a 7 year old spayed yellow female. We have had Buddy since he was a puppy and Izzy for 3 years. Never before have we had this problem and I don't understand it. The last 2 weeks Buddy has been obsessed with Izzy, like she is in heat. He is constantly licking her privates, licking her ears, trying to mount her (which she won't allow) and when they are outside follows her with his nose in her butt and actually drinks her pee when he can! It's SO annoying! He sits and barks at her too. She is constantly wet with his saliva! When he tries to jump on her, she yelps because it hurts her arthritic hips. Otherwise she doesn't seem to mind all this attention. But they knock the furniture around and make a mess of my house. Also, Buddy is so obsessed that he won't eat and has obviously lost some weight. This morning I did get him to eat most of his breakfast. I have a vet appt for April 6, for their yearly exam and lyme shot, and that was the first time I could get them in so we have to deal with this for another 2 weeks!!

I'm wondering if neutering Buddy this late will help, and is it safe to neuter him now? My husband has finally agreed to do it if it will eliminate this behavior. I have heard there are more risks for older dogs. Anybody else have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kori is offline Senior Member

When you take them in, try and get a clean urine sample from Izzy, have them test for a UTI. The easiest way I found is have a clean jar ready, get a pie plate, as soon as she squats, slide the plate under her to collect her urine, get it in to the vet as soon as possible.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

yeah I was thinking UTI as well. Have her checked out for that. If she is clear I would consider bringing HIM in for a full physical. Sudden change in behaviour (especially at that age with no change in routine/house) it's generally a good idea to rule out any health issues.

Otherwise just basic training - correct him and redirect.

after all these years I really doubt it's related to his being intact. And from my experience, neutering doesn't generally stop behaviours.

Oh and if he doesn't have any health issues it is absolutely save to neuter at 7 years of age!

ETA: maybe call the vet to see if you can get in sooner?
    Last edited by Tanya; 03-21-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I would suspect a UTI also in your female.the behavior of your male sounds like he is detecting it.

I would call your vet and ask if you can just drop off a urine sample for them to test for a UTI. I would be surprised if they could not do it the same day, but at their leisure (so you do not have to pay for an office call also). If your vet says no, wait two weeks to test for a UTI, find another vet!

I am about to get my two eight year old males and their eight year old sister neutered/spayed, and do not have too much worry about it. They all are in good health.p

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

My 10 year old English Bulldog had rectal cancer and the same time the vet reccomended neutering. No problems and their life expectancy is 8 years. I don't think that it will change his behaviour.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

Thanks for the replies. I will get a sample from Izzy in the morning and drop it off at the vet. I wondered if she might have a UTI, but she seems fine. I don't want her to wait 2 weeks for help though, if she does.

Barb

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Like the others said, I would check your girl with the vet. Another thing that could be happening is that there´s a female in heat nearby (neighbors) that is affecting your dog, and since he has no access to her, then he´s taking it on your girl.

In some cases, when a female is spayed some vets leave one ovary for hormone control. In these cases the females still come into heat even though they won´t get pregnant.

Turns out Izzy does have a "low-grade infection" so they gave me amoxicillin for her. Could she have had a low-grade infection for almost 2 weeks? You would think it would have become worse in that amount of time. So, now I'm wondering if getting rid of the infection will solve the problem. I wonder if she actually got the infection from not finishing peeing because of Buddy always bothering her.... ugh. Guess we'll see, and when we go in to the vet on the 6th will have him give Bud a thorough exam. As for Izzy still having an ovary, I really don't think so because she never shows any signs of being in heat and is not at all receptive to Buddy's "advances" Thanks again for all your responses, I'm glad we'll at least get Izzy well again!

Kori is offline Senior Member

Our rescue, Java, had a UTI, really nasty, when we got her. It took us almost a while to get it cleared up. Our vet thought she'd had it for a long time (she also had the worst yeasty ears he said he'd ever seen), she was on 2 different meds and we finally got it cleared up. She is prone to UTIs so she gets cran caps daily plus I keep baby wipes to clean her once in a while; Joe will start sniffing her and that's when I start wiping. She doesn't have an inverted vulva, I think she just squats too low and picks up bacteria, but I could be wrong. You might want to look into the cran caps, we give Java human grade from Costco, in her meals.