New friend for Jack...
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New friend for Jack...

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew friend for Jack...

I want to start by saying I know this is not an ideal situation. Second I want to say I'm going to try not to take any negative comments personally. I'm really just seeking advice and help here. A few months ago, I posted that my husband wanted to get a second puppy (Jack is now 10 1/2 months)I pretty much talked him into waiting until Jack is older. UNTIL someone dropped off a young lab near his mother's house in Texas.She put ads in papers and tried to find the dogs original owner (or even someone wanting her) Yes, she could've, would've, should've contacted a lab rescue. That didn't happen. What DID happen is the dog spent about 2 months with my mother-in-law. She's a wonderful woman who loves dogs, but she has 5 and they get little or no excercise and way too much food. I saw this first hand when we visited last year. So, getting to the point, hubby says to Mom, yes, I want her. Then try to figure a way to get her here without a lot of fuss. In pops friend who has a friend (yes, I started pacing and wringing my hands at this point as well) who drives truck and happens to be IN Texas and on his way to MI. He'll pick dog up Fri and deliver her Sat or Sun. How wonderful. Except, once he picks her up, deal is changed and now he's delivering her Wed. In 2 days, I'm getting a dog I know nothing about, who's been in who knows what kind of situations and spent the last 5 days in a freaking semi. This part is a given: LOTS of patience and love. Other than that, please help. Of course a trip to the vet. But as far as what I need to do to make her know her life is going to be stable, she's going to be loved, safe, and cared for. I don't know what she's been through, so I don't know what to expect from her. Anyone who's taken in a dog without knowing the background knows the way I feel, I'm sure. But I've never "been there, done that" I always had them from pups. Anyway, sorry this post is so long.....advice anyone?
    885128_165164230304972_10562304_o.jpg our new girl.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

I think it's wonderful you are taking this baby. My first suggestion is not to worry about things that have not even happened yet. What I read is this pup has been at your husband's mothers? If she's been at your MIL's why don't you call her and ask what the dog has been like. Also, if she has already been with all the others she has, well you know she is getting along with other dogs. You might want to consider immediately enrolling in training classes. You mentioned a trip to the vet to test for worms, HW, parasites, all the normal things to start you out with. I'd say you're batting 1000 right now and doing a great job. How is Jack with other dogs? That's the other thing to take into consideration. When your new Lab gets home I would not introduce them in the house. I would suggest you and perhaps your husband put a leash on each of the dog, you with one, he with the other and take them for a nice walk to smell each other, walk with each other etc.... As you are walking you are going to see immediately how they are reacting to each other. After the walk, take them into your back yard. No toys at first. Let them just play with each other and have some fun. One you see how they are doing, then start with a toy, and bring them into the house. Go slowly, there's never a rush with this. I could be wrong but my gut says this is going to be fine because of the information she has already been with other dogs, you never mentioned a problem with the temperament etc..... Good luck and thanks again for rescuing this girl.

Danika & Eva

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Just looked at her picture; I could easily fall in love with that girl. She may be about the same age as Jack. I bet they'll be best friends.
    You are wonderful for saving her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

life just happens sometimes!

agree with Susan. Sign up for an obedience class (the earliest you can get in) so you can start things on the right foot. Make sure you have a crate for her.

You have a bonus of her coming from someone you know - give her a call and ask for some info. What she was eating, how she was in teh house, with other dogs, training, where she sleeps, how house training is going, how she is on leash, what she does with her when she leaves the house, how she does with strangers, new people, etc.

and yes - don't stress about things that haven't happened! structure what you can to get best results and hope for the best!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

She is a lovely girl. Congrats.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

I think Tanya put it pretty well. Sometimes life happens.

I wanted to wait until Jaxx was much older, but my husband surprised me with a cocker spaniel puppy for my birthday. Now I'm juggling training two pups seperately and socializing them.

The dog looks like a sweet girl. Take it slow! I really like the suggestions of obedience classes if possible. The fact that you are so concerned and willing to provide what is necessary means that this will be a great home for her.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Thank you everyone for the kind comments and suggestions. I'm very nervous about this, but determined to make her a part of our family. I will be posting pictures and updates when she gets home. Home

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

When I adopted Teddy he was 8 months old and scared to death. Since I lived alone at the time I had no one to help introduce the two. I took Teddy into the back yard, let him sniff around a bit and then let Jefferson out of the house. Jefferson was delighted to have a buddy and immediately wanted to play. Teddy was so scared that he hid between my legs for the first few minutes, then tentatively started playing. Now Teddy bullies Jefferson unmercifully, wants to play constantly.
    It worked out fine, and I am sure it will work fine for you too. I second the obedience classes. It really helps you bond and lets you and your new buddy learn each others quirks.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Her teeth look great. haha. It really makes you wonder how dogs just end up homeless. I am glad that you are giving her a great home and a good buddy. It will work out.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

kassabella is offline Senior Member

That is great you are giving her a home. I would just take each day as it comes.

I was weaned into taking Erns, but Tess I had a day before I took her. It will be nice for your dog to have a play mate.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast