Getting a sibling for Hamilton?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a sibling for Hamilton?

judiz is offline Senior Member

DefaultGetting a sibling for Hamilton?

Sometime in the not so distant future, we are thinking of adding a second lovable lab to our household. I want to go to the same rescue group that we adopted Hamilton from, they operate out of a shelter near us and they have a large enclosed yard where the dogs can be played with before adoption. I'm hoping that I can bring Hamilton over and see how he interacts with the other dogs. My question for this board is since Hamilton is 5 years old, should we look for a dog that is close to his age or can we get a puppy? Of course, the main factor will be how Hamilton and the prospective adoptee get along. Hamilton really isn't exposed to other dogs at this time except those he meets while being walked and the ones he sees when he goes to the groomer to have his nails trimmed. When he sees a dog being walked, he will start crying and our groomer says he plays nicely with the her dog while waiting to have his nails done.
    Last edited by judiz; 03-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

I think the general line of thinking is to space the ages of the dogs 4 or 5 years, so that as one ages the younger one helps to keep the older dog feeling younger, if that makes sense. Also, as they age you don't risk losing two dogs closely together,which can be an emotional drain. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably get a puppy or young adult. This place is pretty slow on the weekends, so I'm sure others, who are more knowledgeable than I am, will chime in eventually.

labby is offline Senior Member

I agree with what Cam said. Plus, and nobody wants to think about this, if you get another one of the same age you could very well end up losing them both close together. Trust me, that's not fun.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Laura (Labby) is absolutely right about adopting another dog the same age as your first. You could be setting yourself up for some serious heartbreak later on. I'm in that position right now. All mine the same age, within six months or so.

Five years and puppy is perfect! Paddy was five... no wait... he was not... he was six when Seamus came to live with us. It was GREAT but I would not have waited one more year to bring the second lab home.

Seamus and Flynn

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

If you have enough love to go around and you have time for a puppy that would not be a problem with a 5 year old that wants a sibling. Hamilton is new to your home and just getting comfortable. He may not want to share what he has with another dog. I believe that the age difference would be perfect with a pup. Good luck with your choice and thankyou for adopting.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

judiz is offline Senior Member

Thank you everyone for your help, I will post again if we decide to adopt another dog, in the meantime we are going to continue loving Hamilton and making him as secure as possible.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I don't have experience with adopting the same age, but Judy was 5 when I got puppy Bruno, and Bruno, 5 when I got Tony. In both cases, they developed a great relationship.

patm is offline Senior Member

I added a second puppy when one of my labs was 3 years old, and one was 7 years old and both went really well. Both of these dogs was used to being with an older dog that died, so that's a little different situation than a single dog that isn't around other dogs very much, but I have a feelling that Hamilton would love a younger friend

joflake is offline Senior Member

I agree with what everyone else said. Plus the pup will learn from the older dog.

The situation I have now made me decide not to have two dogs so close to the same age again. Libby just passed in September and Willy is having some issues now. Dixie is nine months old and wants to play ALL day. Willy is just not up to it. But if he was only 5 or 6 years old, she would have more of a playmate. JMO

rmcbuckeye is offline Senior Member

I went through the same situation in October of 2008, except they were not close in age. I had a Beagle, Rosie, who was 6. She slipped and her back/back legs were paralyzed. Had to put her to sleep. There was nothing we could do to help her - surgery was out of our hands, she'd still suffer even after if we had it done. Then two weeks later, my Siberian Husky, Anna, who was 13, had to be put to sleep. She gave up, her body gave up, she wouldn't eat or drink, she was tired and I think part of it was a heartbreak from losing Rosie. Those girls were inseparable. They were always together, no matter what. They were 6 years apart. They had quite a unique relationship. I still miss them, they were wonderful dogs.
    “The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast