How big can they get?

Thread: How big can they get?

DefaultHow big can they get?

I am intersted in knowing just how big a black lab can get. I had a black lab, not papered that was 180 lbs. I figure he had something else in him besides lab (quarter horse maybe).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds like he had a lot of food in him. A friend of mine has a Yellow - field lines - who at his worst got to 130 lbs. This is a dog that would wear 80# nicely. They can get very, very bulky.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

justine is offline Senior Member

Labs are known for their appetites and willingness to eat pretty much everything.. like Sharon's example, a lot of them end up being quite overweight.

According to the AKC standard: Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

My son's yellow lab Newman is a big boy. I should measure him to the whithers some time. I was 135 lbs at about 3 years old. Yes, he was heavy. I had told my son that he never saw a dog that heavy in our house, and it was not good for Newman to be that heavy. In his 4th year, Newman started developing some joint issues and other problems. The vet put him on a strict diet. Newman is cirrently 92 lbs, and he is a thin dog. No fat other than fatty cysts, but he is a big boy.

HK is 56 lbs plus or minus 2, and gets weighed every month. Vet has the scle in the waiting area, and I just stop in the first time we go by every month. I have no doubt in my mind that if I free fed HK, she would blossum to 80-90 lbs very rapidly. She is highly food motivated.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

He definitly could have stood to lose 20 lbs. but that still puts him around 160 lbs. Still huge for a lab.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I am intersted in knowing just how big a black lab can get. I had a black lab, not papered that was 180 lbs. I figure he had something else in him besides lab (quarter horse maybe).
    Labs, being the most popular breed in the world, have many, many, different variants.

While the Lab Retriever Club of America lists the desired standards for males as being 65-80 lbs and that for females as 10 lbs less, MOST Labs being shown in bench competitions in the USA are (my best guess) a little heavier. These Labs are chunky and blocky with straight, thick tails. Champions are based on appearance and conformation to standards although weight is not being judged as severely as appearance factors. Competitive breeders try to breed Labs that will win these events.

In the last 20+ years, another line of Labs has developed, that of Labs competing in Hunt Tests & Field Trials (field line Labs). These Labs are typically leaner, taller, lankier and heavier, usually with more sickle shaped tails. Males often weigh in 80+ range and females a bit less. Champions are based on performance in Hunt Test and Field Trial events and not on appearance. Competitive breeders try to breed Labs that will win these events.

In addition to these, there are puppy mills and BYB (Back Yard Breeders) who are NOT concerned with meeting ANY standards and which can mix the above 2 lines randomly.

As a result, a non-obese "AKC registered Lab" can vary anywhere from maybe 45 lbs to 125, from the size of a typical Border Collie to a Mastiff and those that are not from AKC registeresd lines from ??? to ???.

So, just how big can a black/chocolate/yellow "Lab" get?

Bench?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Field?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Puppy Mill?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    BYB?
    ?
    ?
    ?

Almost anything.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 12-10-2009 at 02:14 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

180 lb!!! WOW that was probably a black mastiff not a lab. Not even my great dane at it´s heaviest ever weighed that (she once topped at 160lb when she had to take cortisone based meds)

I´m glad my two barely make it to the standard height and weight. Most people used to American Lines think my two are pups and always ask how old they are, then look surprised when I tell them 2 and 3...

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I would almost bet is was not purebred
    Kim