Those of you with rescue Labs - introductions, changing name?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those of you with rescue Labs - introductions, changing name?

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultThose of you with rescue Labs - introductions, changing name?

If all goes well, Abbey and I will be bringing home a chocolate boy on Friday! He is approximately 2-4 years old and his owners dumped him. A rescue picked him up, found out he had heartworms, treated them and just neutered him yesterday.

We will drive over there Friday morning and if they get along, he will come home with us! I definitely need to find out more info about exactly what his heartworm status is and all of that, but for now, all sounds good!

He's been with this foster home with 3 other dogs and a few cats and the foster mom said he's been good with all. My cat, Sylvester, likes Abbey and they cuddle and all that, but he's not so fond of other dogs. My roommate's cat tolerates Abbey, but that's pretty much it.

So, given that everything goes well, how should I introduce him to the cats?

And I'm not 100% sure I want to keep his name Benny... but if he's already responding to it, I might have to.. or change it to Benno. Other names I've picked out might be Kasch, Emmett, Otto, Ehren or Kolby. I guess I'm just not sure if I should go around changing his name or just leave it??

Oh and here's a pic, too:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

We thought about changing Champ's name to Charlie, but decided that since he had such a traumatic time with losing his family, we couldn't heap another change on him, so we left it.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

We changed Boomer's name right away mainly b/c he didn't even respond to his former name Guess nobody ever talked to him...SAD! But if Benny does respond to his current name, you could gradually change it. For instance if you pick Emmett (which is one of my cat's names, lol) you could start calling him Ben. Then that wouldn't be so far off from Emmett. Or think of a name that has the same end sound as Benny.
    As far as cat introductions, I kept my cats in the basement for the first few days with the door closed. They smelled eachother through the door. Then I put a baby gate at the door. Well, 3 months later and we still have the gate up b/c Boomer is a cat chaser... Stupid cats, why do you RUN? My one cat was fine within a week. The other one is still a little skiddish but finally decided to sit in the same room as him after a month. Still, its good to have a "safe" place for the cat to run to incase it gets overwhelmed. Just let them meet on the cats terms, don't force it, but do supervise.
    What a lucky boy to get a second chance with you He's a cutie!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

He is so handsome. Glad he wil lhave a home with you all going well.

I hated the name Ernie. We couldn't think of anything sounding similar, and thought he had so much to learn it would be best leaving his name.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Justine,
    First off CONGRATS, we are excited for you, Abbey and Sylvester.

I don't have a lot of experience with rescues, but I have kind of a funny story. My parents got our family a Sheltie when I was in about 6th grade (I'm 22 now), and she was given to us by a family that was hiding her in their apartment. Our Sheltie of 14 years had died and we were kind of looking for one. The family got caught and had to give up their puppy and heard through the vet that we were looking. She was 4 months at the time.

When we got her, her name was...get this...Sexy. She responded to it, knew it, the whole nine yards. Well, my parents were not about the have a dog named Sexy when they had an 10 year old and a 3 year old (my sister). My mom loves to name her animals after food, so 'Sexy' became Popcorn. She learned her name quickly and knew it the rest of her life. She was one heck of a dog, too. We just put her down this past summer, do to pancreatic cancer.

My grandpa always found the name Popcorn embarassing and loves the story about how when we took her to the vet once and he came along, that he felt a little better when he found out the cat behind us was named Pumpkin. He loved Popsie dearly though!

Oh, and Lola, I found her on the interstate. I have no idea what her name was prior, but she knows it's Lola now (we've had her coming up on 3 years). We had no idea how to introduce dogs or cats to her at the time, so we just kind of did it and lucky for us Lola loves anything that breathes. My fave thing about her is that she really seems to appreciate living with us, sleeping in the bed is such a treat to her, ear scratches mean the world, and she lives for human attention!

Let us know how it goes!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

He is adorable! And you could change his name to anything. Years ago I had adopted a 9 year old Lab mix that shared my name. It was a name she came to the shelter with but I still changed it. She picked it up in probley two days.
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

New life, new name!!! Brewster never responded to his old name either. With a name like "Manfred", I wouldn't respond either! Barley came from a loving home and responded to his former name, Corona, but he picked up quickly on his new name.

What time is the meeting on Friday so we can pace until we hear how it went?
    Last edited by bbbbmom; 12-09-2009 at 08:35 PM.

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbbbmom View Post
    New life, new name!!! Brewster never responded to his old name either. With a name like "Manfred", I wouldn't respond either! Barley came from a loving home and responded to his former name, Corona, but he picked up quickly on his new name.

What time is the meeting on Friday so we can pace until we hear how it went?
    Ick, Manfred?! Yeah, Benny isn't horrible, but I don't think it's as original as I want it to be. After having a dog named Abbey I don't think I can stand having another animal with such a popular name - I know too many Abbey's from work already!

I should be back around 12 or a little later, so hopefully I will be driving home with two goobers instead of one!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

congrats - he is beautiful!

try to introduce them in neutral territory.

the name is totally up to you. my fosters almost all came to me with "new" names (i.e. we didn't know their real name)! just work on name association, they generally pick up fairly quickly.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Justine, congrats to you and Abbey on your new addition.

He is a very handsome boy! As for the name, I would say see how he responds to Benny. If he is responding well, you might want to consider keeping it as Benny. If he does not respond, then I would try a new name with him.

Lexi came to me with the name the rescue assigned to her, that is Faylyn. I was not thrilled with that at all, so she became Lexi.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast