Boots for Dogs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boots for Dogs

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultBoots for Dogs

So, I was at REI last week and I noticed that they sell those doggie boots.

Does anyone's dog actually wear these? And, if so, do they do so willingly?

I'm contemplating the possibility of having to put the boys in shoes if we can't figure out what's going on with their feet. These boots at REI were not cheap (about $60 for four), but MAN, they were very cool. Just like people shoes, with tread, velcro closures, etc. Really nice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Henry does if we're going out in the winter and there is an ice-crust over the snow. He has cut way too many pads while nekkid, and he seems to always get cold feet (ice balls stuck between the furs of his pads), despite my trimming the wayward hobbit hair.

These are the ones that Henery has: Fleece Lined Muttluks

He walks kinda funny at first, like he's getting used to them, but once he gets into his rhythm, he does just fine. I make sure the velcro is quite snug if he's going off-roading.

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey has some, mainly because last year my apartment complex was treacherous with ice and all that... she cut open her paw a few times on ice chunks and I decided to prevent it instead. I have the Muttluk ones. Even if I put them on pretty snug, she can still manage to get them off and I have to back and find it in the snow... but that's only when she's running around off leash

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

Tried them on Morgan -lasted maybe 4 seconds

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Felicia, thanks for the link. I walk Daisy as long as the weather is above zero and today she was seeming a bit cold in the footsie regions, so I was on my way to order some anyway. We're going to get the same as Hen.

I'm also going to get some of the Musher's Secret, for those days that we don't need the boots!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Interesting timing. see email at the end.

HK get Musher's Secret when it is below 0 F, or if going somewhere salt may have been used. Have not tried boots, does not seem as though she needs any more protection. We have been out at -25F and she showed no signs of wanting to get back to the car or home, unlike me.

Our daughter has a Cockapoo named Louie who has picked up the nickname Mr. Kennedy for some reason recently, about 1.5 years old. We got 4-5 inches of snow overnight and the temp was in the single digits F. About 9 this morning, I got his email.

Mr. Kennedy's feet

Ouchie Mommy, ouchie - why are my toes on the cold cold ground. Ouchie! Help, I can't keep this one on the ground it's too cold. Yikes, now this one is too cold so it has to come off the ground. Ouchie mommy, let's go home! Mommy, these stairs - they are sooo cold why are my feet on them. This is awful mommy.

That was our experience this morning. He made it about half a block over by the Marriott before needing to turn to head home. Got half a pee out before that point. Then before I left I told him to go out on the patio to make a pee pee. He did not want to go at all, kept looking at me like I was crazy to ask him to go outside. Then he went out, circled and peed and came right back in. Poor guy has a long winter ahead of him.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Rocky wears mutt lucks on most winter outings (which reminds me I have to pull them out) - for me it is because I live right in the middle of the city and we walk/run ALOT on mains roads which are salted all winter long. Plus it saves me having to cleans his paws when we get in the house

He lets me put them out but will not move once they are on until I put a leash on and gently tug and call. then he does a slow walk with legs kicking out real wide (too funny) but by the time we get half a block he is back to normal.

The muttlucks fell off abit the first few times until they were better fitted (and I tightened htem enough!) - definately worth the money. I had one pair 3 winters
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

They didn't last long on Jake lol. It seems like others have had good luck with them! Isn't REI an addicting store! John and I always seem to find about a thousand things we want

Have you heard anything about Simon's biopsy?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    He lets me put them out but will not move once they are on until I put a leash on and gently tug and call. then he does a slow walk with legs kicking out real wide (too funny) but by the time we get half a block he is back to normal.
    Tanya, Henry does the same thing, like he's walking in flippers... everything is very exaggerated. lol.

Our set has last us the past 2 or 3 winters now, and still is in great condition!!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

So many people have had difficulty with their Lab's acceptance of boots OR in keeping them on that -- for Puff's daily morning off leash walk in the nature preserve -- we've used "Musher's Secret"** (a non-staining wax) to keep ice and snow balls from forming between toes and pads.

It works great for us. Puff accepts very well my putting it on.

But Connie, considering all the problems you've had with your Labs -- boots could be well worth a try.

** KV Vet has the most reasonable prices I've seen. The larger size is by far the most economical. www.kvvet.com

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast