Training Question

Thread: Training Question

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraining Question

I am putting this here, since LC gets vastly more traffic than Training does.

Anyway, my neighbors have a two year old little girl, Zaria, who adores Lexi. We go over a lunchtime to chat with her Mom (she is a stay-at-home so that little bit of adult company goes along way towards keeping her sane).

Like any kid, Zaria, loves to feed Lexi whatever she might be eating at the time. I try to keep it to a minimum, but inevitably Zaria gives her food.

The problem lately is Lexi has gotten into the nasty habit of taking anything Zaria might have to eat, whether Zaria offers it or not. THAT I AM NOT OKAY WITH! It is not like she grabs it & hurts Zaria, but the food is not hers for the taking just because Zaria is down at her level.

The incident today, Zaria was on her way home with Mommy & her brother. They stopped to pet Lexi & Lexi decided to make off with the cookie Zaria had in her stroller tray. I reprimanded her & she is hiding in the dining room presently.

Any suggestions, on how to curtail this undesireable habit???

My pretty girl, Lexi!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

Work on LEAVE IT!!!

You'd optimally like to get to the point where even if you tossed Lexi's mostest favoritest treat on the floor, you could say LEAVE IT and she would.

And it's all about praising the good responses while fixing the not-so-good ones....

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

justine is offline Senior Member

Yep, I agree. Abbey has "leave it" stuck in her head pretty well and it works great, especially if I'm in the kitchen and something like an onion drops and I don't want her to eat it. I will tell her "ok" if it's something she can eat, though