growling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: growling

rasta is offline Junior Member

Defaultgrowling

my 1 1/2 year choco lab will take a paper or something that is not his, run under the table and growl when i try to get it back from him. he doesnt stare and do a long growl, but will just keep moving around avoiding me and letting out growls. i dont want him to bite me although he has never tried. cant figure out why he would growl like that. need some advice here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I really think he is just trying to initiate a game of "catch me" with you. If you don't want him to play that game with you, ignore him and he will lose interest in what he has taken. If you want to play the game with him, substitute a toy for what he took. A growl is not always a sign of aggression; it may be an expression of how he feels about a situation or a part of being playful. It is unlikely that he will bite you, but you must never show him that you are afraid of that. That would teach him that he controls you.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I agree. My 9 month old Jack growls when playing sometimes. Especially tug of war with Dad. But I never thought it was a "real" growl. It's more a play thing. The way you say he keeps moving around ~ sounds like a game of "keep away"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rasta View Post
    my 1 1/2 year choco lab will take a paper or something that is not his, run under the table and growl when i try to get it back from him. he doesnt stare and do a long growl, but will just keep moving around avoiding me and letting out growls. i dont want him to bite me although he has never tried. cant figure out why he would growl like that. need some advice here.
    Your post is not indicating if he is growling in a mean way or just playing around. The fact you said you didn't want him to bite you would lead me to believe you do have some fear. If that is the case, this is totally unacceptable. If you are not sure how to handle this, I would perhaps consider a trainer. I also would not allow him to get the paper or something else and take it under the table. Perhaps more supervised play time?

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

When your dog growls, is his head averted, and his body turned a bit away from you, or is he in a play bow, facing you and tail wagging? My dogs frequently growl when playing. You need to look at the rest of the picture, i.e. His body position to help you understand what his intent is.

That being said, playing keep away is not acceptable in my house. If any of my crew do get an unacceptable item, they must relinquish it upon request...IMMEDIATELY!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

Haana does this when she wants attention. Dad & MIL cannot get the 'treasure' from her, but then they stand there repeating themselves. I walk over to her, say 'Drop it" once and she gives it to me.

She has learned that I don't play keep away, no matter how hard she tries. It took a long time and a lot of effort but she knows I don't play that.

In fact, last night she tried it and stole my homework - how to teach a dog self control...................

dweck is offline Senior Member

Time to teach LEAVE IT! Whether for dominance issues or for play, your dog needs to learn that you are the Keeper of All Things Wonderful, and once you say that a particular item is to be given over, it needs to be given over without question. Playtime or not.

Not that you need to be belligerent or cruel about this. Just in charge.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    When your dog growls, is his head averted, and his body turned a bit away from you, or is he in a play bow, facing you and tail wagging? My dogs frequently growl when playing. You need to look at the rest of the picture, i.e. His body position to help you understand what his intent is.

That being said, playing keep away is not acceptable in my house. If any of my crew do get an unacceptable item, they must relinquish it upon request...IMMEDIATELY!!
    thanks for all the replies. he is not facing me, not showing teeth. tail not wagging. but keeps trying to avoid me when i try to grab things from his mouth that he took off of counter.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rasta View Post
    thanks for all the replies. he is not facing me, not showing teeth. tail not wagging. but keeps trying to avoid me when i try to grab things from his mouth that he took off of counter.
    These aren't food items are they?

no, they are like mail, dish rags,towels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast