Retrieving/playing fetch in the snow

Thread: Retrieving/playing fetch in the snow

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRetrieving/playing fetch in the snow

This morning we had 3 1/2"(8.5 cm) of new snow when Puff and I went out for our early morning offleash walk in the nature preserve.

Almost always I bring along a training dummy for Puff to retrieve 20-30X but, this morning, I hadn't "winterized" them so they can be more easily found when buried in the snow.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/sofknobplasd.html

Puff didn't understand why the change and kept looking at me quizzically.

So this afternoon I went to the Jo-Anne fabric store (a chain) and bought a couple 10 yard/9 m spools of colored 1/8" (3 mm) ribbon, one red, one green, 50c apiece. These should last several years if I don't stash them away where I can't find them.

I've found that tying 2-3 ft (.7-1 m) of ribbons to the grommet end of our Training Dummies helps both Puff and I easily locate it after I've slung it and no matter how far the body of the TD buries in the snow, the lighter ribbons lie on the snow's surface. Narrower ribbons offer less wind resistance when I sling them than wide ones do.

I've been doing this for about 6 winters and find it works very well for us.

Also, whenever there's snow on the ground, I smear each of Puff's paws with "Musher's Secret", a non-staining, vaseline consistency wax which keeps ice balls from forming between Puff's pads.

KV Vet has the best price on Musher's Secret I've found and the large size tin is by far the most economical.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 12-09-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: To add a link
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I have the bright orange colored ones and they both have neon yellow cords attached to them that are a couple feet long. I agree - it works very well for finding them in the deep snow!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Just in time for this morning. I put on my insulated coveralls, down jacket, and insulated LL Bean boots. Smeared Musher's Secret on all 4 of Puff's paws.

Unplugged the engine block heater (it was 10 F/-12 C) and we drove to the nature preserve.

Windy, and the wind chill was -10 F/-23 C. The wind had created drifts 1 & 2 ft deep.

Our ribbons worked fine

Wind felt like a sharp knife on my throat just above the scarf. Wished I had a face mask. We trudged about a half mile and I decided that was enough.

On the way back, my footsteps in the snow going out had become almost completely filled in by wind and the drifting snow on our way back.

My big toes had gotten cold despite my insulated boots.

Plugged the engine block heater back in.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748