Zeus's upset tummy

Thread: Zeus's upset tummy

bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultZeus's upset tummy

We've had Zeus for 3 1/2 years he was always our healthy dog. I think the only time he was at the vet until this summer was for his shots. For some reason since Labor day weekend he's had such a touchy stomach and I can't figure out why. Since then I think we've spent probably $600+ at the vet trying to get it straightened out. I think part of it was a food change, we changed food when we were trying to get Mocha straightned out then switched back when we had to rehome her. Even though it was a food he had eaten for over 2 years and had only been off for about 6 months it didnt' seem to agree with him now. We switched food and that has helped. We've also cut out almost all treats other than the ones with the same ingredients as his food other than some cheese that seems to do ok. But he keeps having these flair ups. We had his stool and blood tested and it was fine. It's just so weird that he could eat anything before and it never bothered him now his tummy is so sensitive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

We had a similar situation with Sadie. She kept throwing up and it would come and go and went on for weeks. Spent $$ and time at the vet to find out basically nothing. She finally got better and stopped throwing up. I really think she was yard surfing and eating whatever she found in the yard.

Hope Zeus gets better.

ClarenceandFitzMom is offline Senior Member

Clarence has always had a sensitive stomach (actually, he threw up just last night, in his bed, that I had just washed, of course...). When he has flare ups, we add enzyme powder to his food for a few days and that helps. We get ours where we buy the boys' food. Check into that--we spent a ton of $$$ at the vet too and this is a great solution. Also, we always have neopectin on hand (doggy pepto). A dose or two of that seems to help flare ups also. Hope Zeus feels better soon!

Leigh, Clarence and Fitzgerald

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Have they checked for colitis?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

bacatherine is offline Senior Member

We did have some digestive enzyme powder for his food from the vet but I'm out and need to get more. I don't know if it was helping for sure but it wasn't hurting either since he didn't get sick while he was on it. He's not normally one to search for things to eat that he shouldn't but he may have. I do have some medicine for vomiting from the vet that they told me to keep on hand so I can give that when he starts and it seems to help. I hate not being able to give him many treats though when I used to be able to without any problem.

justine is offline Senior Member

Yikes Abbey has always had a sensitive stomach.. and that's an understatement. Recently I've switched Abbey to homecooked food (ground turkey and sweet potato), which I supplement with a mineral/vitamin chew, fish oil mix and a probiotic. So far, so good. Her stools are a bit soft but that's expected with this kind of moist diet.

I just started her on the probiotic, called acidophilus, which is actually in a lot of dog foods and human-grade yogurts, etc. I'm going to wait out this container, which will last about 3 months and see if she seems any better off. If not, I'll probably discontinue it.

Have you had the stool cultured and sent off or have they just done in-house stool checks? Sometimes if they do that they can see if anything weird is going on internally.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Not much help here but I hope Zeus gets better and through this! I know that can be disconcerting. Especially when everything comes back negative and they cannot pinpoint the problem!