NLR - Great Danes hoarded in Mpls. home

Thread: NLR - Great Danes hoarded in Mpls. home

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR - Great Danes hoarded in Mpls. home

They aren't Labs, but the video on TV last night of one of these Great Danes just cowering and trying to crouch down and hide from the Animal Control that was just trying to help them was so sad.

Authorities in Minneapolis have uncovered a hoarding case involving a breed of dog known for its mammoth size, and now they are on a mission to find good homes for the animals.

Seven Great Danes were living in "filthy conditions and ... had very little socialization and care" in a home, said city spokesman Matt Lindstrom.

The dogs' owner surrendered them to the city's Animal Care and Control, which placed two puppies in new homes and began handing over the other five -- all adults -- to a rescue organization in two stages starting Monday.

"They are wonderful dogs, but they are big dogs," said Ann Heinrich, whose Great Dane Rescue of Minnesota and Wisconsin took in three of the dogs Monday and will return for the other two Wednesday.

Danes are considered the world's tallest breed, standing more than 3 feet tall from paw to shoulder and weighing at least 100 pounds by adulthood. It's the size of the five dogs that requires Heinrich to make two trips for the handoff.

Even though the dogs' owner cooperated with Animal Control, "this case is still under investigation for possible animal cruelty" charges, Lindstrom said.

Photos taken two weeks ago and released by the city show a thoroughly trashed living room and filth surrounding a kiddie swimming pool made into a dog's bed.

In light of this case, Animal Care and Control officials said in a statement that a residence with a large number of animals is "not a healthy environment for the people or the pets."

Heinrich said some owners don't realize the expense of keeping a Dane well fed and in good health.

Also, some people welcome a Great Dane to their home only to find out later that "they can't take living outside," Heinrich said. "They are strictly house dogs. They have no hair for the wintertime to keep them warm."

The five being taken in this week brings Heinrich's total to 15 awaiting placement by her organization in Siren, Wis.

Some of them are in foster homes as they await adoption. The others live with Heinrich, who has been involved with caring for Great Danes for 40 years, the past five running the rescue organization.

"Some of the dogs will live out their lives with me," she said. "We've got one dog we've had for over a year waiting for adoption."

For more information about Heinrich's agency, visit gdromn.org.

Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Very sad Ed !

They are very loving dogs !

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

For a second there I thought this said that Maple was hoarding Great Danes.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

That´s so sad, poor dogs. Great Danes are sensitive dogs that bond very deeply to their families and are usually a bit shy around strangers. They don´t bond immediately to new owners, so its probably going to be difficult to place them. But they are awesome dogs, extremely loyal and amazing guardians. I had one over 10 years ago, she took great care of my ex-SIL and niece back when my brother got divorced

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Great Danes are awesome dogs. Gentle giants, truly. I hope those poor dogs all get placed in loving, secure homes.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I have had the honor of knowing several Great Danes and have fallen head over heels in love with them all. They are truly a gentle giant. Mo was playing with one at the dog park and it treated him so kindly even though he was 2 times as large as him at 8 months!! These kinds of stories make me so sad.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    For a second there I thought this said that Maple was hoarding Great Danes.
    Ha! That crossed my mind, too.

Such a sad story.